New member from Bixby, OK

Oct 19, 2015
Bixby, OK
I just wanted to say hello and thanks for all the information I have already gathered from the forum. My wife and I just bought a new house with a pool(our first pool) and we have no clue how to take care of it, so I will probably be asking a ton of questions.

pool.jpg

Hello Mike and welcome! Make sure you have the right test kit (i.e. TF-100 - link below). That's critical. Test strips and/or pool testing are not reliable. You'll see why as time goes on. Also spend a few minutes in the Pool School page area and you'll do fine. We're happy to have you with us.

Welcome. You have come to the right place. We are very glad you are here. :wave:

There will be many folks along to welcome you and offer great advice. If that is how your new pool looks today, you are very lucky, indeed. A lot of folks find us when their pools have turned to swamps. We take 'em all and help as needed.

I bought a test kit from Fiesta Pools. Not sure of the brand of it. But it tests Total Chlorine, Free Chlorine, ph and Total Alkalinity. After I bought the kit, I found that my ph was above 8.0 and I had 0 chlorine in the pool. I added 2 quarts(if I remember correctly) of muriatic acid, which brought the ph down. Then shocked it with a bag of Power Powder. The ph is back up to 8.0 after 4 days. Not sure why.

We really need a list of your equipment. It looks like you have a waterfall into the pool. That will drive pH up. Also, you don't know what your TA is, but if that is too high, that will also make pH go up.

Unfortuantly, your testkit is not going to be good enough for you to really take control. You need either a TF-100 from TFTestkits.net or a Taylor K-2006C from various places around the internet. I would strongly recommend the TF-100. And also get a speed stir. You will thank me.

- - - Updated - - -

Here are a few links to get you started:
ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Recommended Pool Chemicals

From there I would spend some time reading Pool School, and then start asking questions.

- - - Updated - - -

While your thinking about your equipment, could you go ahead a fill out the signature info? You will find a 'settings' link, under the 'pool school' button , up in the upper right of most pages.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, around here we really like pictures. So please post a pic of your pool equipment. That will help a lot down the road.

That makes three of us from Bixby, OK. Small world. I don't know, but we are in the hunt for the highest TFP per capita.

They stamped our concrete, but not much else. They said that they will be finishing up on ours next week. I won't hold my breath though.