Can I tint my tile grout

Dec 1, 2013
Hey everyone. I'm getting ready to tile my pool, I have these really cool grey tiles but I can't find a matching grey grout/ mastic / adhesive to go with them. Have you guys ever heard of using concrete colorant to tint the grout? I'm thinking of getting white grout and adding some black concrete colorant to make grey. I did some samples and it looks really nice but I'm worried about it changing the properties of the grout. I only need about 1% by weight to get the color I need. Any experience with this kind of thing out there?

Thanks in advance for the help and advice.

+1 on what Kim says. You can use any sanded grout, lowes and hd both sell a zillion colors. I don't know if using a concrete tint will work. Being underwater I would be concerned that it might run or leach out.

Regular grout in a pool? I thought you needed special grout/mastic that is waterproof. If I use regular grout, would I need to adhere the tiles with mastic first and do this in 2 steps?

I spoke to the grout manufacturer (this is a grout/ mastic material made by Bexel in Mexico). they said that a powdered colorant would work and be stable.

Here are a couple samples I did (the dark one isn't dry yet). I have the exact color I need. I'm just a bit worried about it as this is a big and expensive project.....

Attachments

• IMG_20151022_085140[1].jpg
    IMG_20151022_085140[1].jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 121
Thanks all for the info. On another note, the tile job will take 3-4 weeks. What should I do with the pump and filter? Is it OK to just shut them down or should I drain them too?

Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK... The pool is located in Playa Del Carmen Mexico. That's near Cancun. No worries about freezing the pump!!! Right now the pool is completely drained for the tile job but I wondered what to do with the pump and filter during that time. Didn't know if the filter would grow mold in it or something.

OK... The pool is located in Playa Del Carmen Mexico. That's near Cancun. No worries about freezing the pump!!! Right now the pool is completely drained for the tile job but I wondered what to do with the pump and filter during that time. Didn't know if the filter would grow mold in it or something.

I'll be happy to come down and inspect the work for a small fee and some free lodging.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.