Question about Purchasing a Used Namco Morada Above ground Pool

Oct 18, 2015
Worcester, MA
have an opportunity to get this pool.

It was installed in 2011 with a saltwater system.
New homeowner doesn't want pool and has already sold the generator.
Selling Pool, Sand filter,pump, Pool Heater (heat pump-not working), ladder
and all accessories for $200.

Noticed some rust along the bottom to the left and right under skimmer.
Drained pool and pulled back liner.

Duct tape over pan head bolts had a sharp spot on it.

Found a pin hole in the liner that lined up with it.
pulled tape back and it was wet underneath.
someone used the wrong sized phillip bit and left sharp edges on the screw heads.

Question, should I run away or is this somewhat of an easy fix the the pools outer skin?

doesn't look like it has rusted through.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

added a couple pictures.

Kevin B

new to pools

Attachments

• IMG_20151018_145835846.jpg
    IMG_20151018_145835846.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_20151020_181005133.jpg
    IMG_20151020_181005133.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20151018_145839464.jpg
    IMG_20151018_145839464.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 78
I have the same pool and love it :) My problem with buying a used pool is that most of the $ is in the installation (and disassembly). Even if you do it yourself, time is money. If you are going to spend a lot of time getting the site prepped, sand (or foam) floor, etc you are better off going new. That being said, if you can get everything for $200 (plus the cost of a new liner) and have the time to do the install, and the rust is just on the surface---then go for it! Salt water and metal framed pool is a no-no, IMO. And ALWAYS use GORILLA tape over wall seam screws (double layer).

Myself I would go for it. The bottom rail should be available from the manufacturer, and if you know someone who is good with a mig welder you could, if you need/want to, replace the bottom part of the wall.
The pump/filter/ladder and accessories will cost over 500$ if purchased new, the heat pump, if no visible signs of leaking can be repaired also, for a lot less then buying a new one for close to 2000$.

Great deal! It will require some effort but well worth it. The Morada is a Wil Bar pool and I have personally sold and installed over a hundred of this model. It is now available with interchangeable top and bottom track with one set being resin so if you need to get replacement parts they should be easy to get. Rust doesnt look that bad but you need to sand a heavily prime with Rustoleum primer before reinstalling. Liner holes result of poor installation as you already know. Number 3 phillips needs to be used and any rough places filed and an extra 30 cents of duct tape would have saved a $300 liner. Minimum of 3 strips of tape covering screw heads and wall end. If there is evidence of rust through I would cut pieces of sheet metal to cover and make it large enough to slip into the track at the bottom and tape over edges thoroughly. Another perfect example of why to NEVER EVER use a salt system on an aboveground pool. Don't drink the Kool Aid people! Salt has its place but AG pools are not it. Sorry to my friends at Pentair you know I love your Intellichlors and use them on most of our FG pools with Safetron ladders and rails and salt friendly pumps. Look at all of the Salt compatible pool warranties and see how quick they run from liability of salt.

Mike
USAqua
803-760-7000

Mike

Thanks for the reply. unrolled the metal in my back yard. Sanded cleaned and primed the inside with a self etching rustoleum primer.
the did the same to the section on the outside under the skimmer. Primer comes half way up the side.
Waiting for another dry day to get the other side.
interesting note:
the bottom track all the way around - paint looks like it melted and bubbled up.
will probably be easier to replace than repair.
track on top of pool liner has a lot of rust.
once again, replacement parts look easier.
the top rails have some rust on the edges where they meet under the caps.
also, some rust underneath where the metal retaining ring touched.
any suggestion for paint ?

Kevin

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.