Advice needed-Buying New Pump

Nov 19, 2014
Homosassa, Florida
Had a Hayward 1 1/2 hp pump. Upon opening the pool pump would not start. Handyman cleaned out gunk and got it started but its much louder now. Probably bad bearings even though only 1 1/2 years old. Can't find anyone to replace the bearings here so just decided to buy a new pump. Should I stick with a 1 1/2 HP? Would like to stay with Hayward but any suggestions would be appreciated. 15,600 gallon above ground pool with Pentair Sand Dollar Filter SD-60. Thanks !

I would say that the 1.5 HP is overkill for your pool. You don't have a water feature just returns and skimmers. I would strongly suggest going down to a 1 HP or 3/4 HP, preferably a 2-speed pump for even more energy savings. Is your voltage 120V or 230V to the pump?

Couple more clues. If the installer used the correct wire colors 230v will have black, red and green wires. 115v will have black, white and green wires. Is it a single breaker or double breaker?

Pump was plugged into an outdoor outlet but I had electricians hard wire an outlet with switches to my panel in the house. Of course they didn't label the panel ( I wasn't here) but I don't see any new double breakers. I will look for a smaller HP pump but I kinda like the 1 1/2 hp. The reason being I need some oomph to pump the water through the 4 hard plastic (cheap) solar collectors and back to the pool. I'll send the model # of the existing pump tomorrow. Thanks everyone !

Even a lower hp motor should do fine with solar panels....it's not the hp rating so much as the Service Factor that counts.
Look for an SF rating on the motor. on my last pool the 3/4 hp motor had an SF of 1...which was enough to run the solar panels up a two story roof.

It worked well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.