pressure loss....

Edgie311

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 24, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
When I connect my total length of vacum hose to the skimmer I lose about 2-3 lbs of pressure and the pump runs a little louder. When I connect the head (Hayward NaviGator) I lose even more (6-8 total). I disconnected the sections of hose and connected each piece of hose seperatly to see if it was a certain section that might be leaking and found none, each pice connected indiv experienced no pressure loss or change in pump noise. Any ideas??

Is this a new problem or has it always done this? When you connect the hose and the cleaner, the flow to the pump through the skimmer is restricted. Less water in means less water out so the pressure is lower. If you have a main drain or multiple skimmers, it shouldn't be a problem, as the pump can draw water from them. Many cleaners have flow adjusting devices to allow the pump to draw some water from the skimmer and whatever is needed through the cleaner.

If it's a new problem, it could indicate a leak on the suction side of the pump someplace. The restricted flow causes lower pressure on the suction side, which could be causing air to enter through a leak. Do you get bubbles in the strainer basket or coming out the returns when the cleaner is hooked up?

I have one skimmer that has two holes and a main drain (bottom of pool) I do not have or see a valve or switch to increase the suctiion of the main drain that I can tell. This problem seems to be relatively new that I can tell or has always been and I never really paid attention.

Edgie311 said:
I have one skimmer that has two holes and a main drain

A two hole skimmer has the main drain routed through it, so when you connect the vacuum hose you are drawing all of the pump water through the hose. You need a regulator valve or adjustable vacuum plate, both of which are available from Hayward.

Edgie311 said:
so should the second hole have suction also because I do not feel any suction?

No, water enters the skimmer from the main drain via the hole closer to the pool, then all the water entering the skimmer goes to the pump through the second hole.

ETA: Half a second late Jason. You beat me.

Thanks, but still feel I am not quite grasping what you mean.......a simple plate to cover both skimmer holes that has a connection for the vac hose?[attachment=0:1krgdii1]850019b.jpg[/attachment:1krgdii1]

Attachments

• 850019b.jpg
    850019b.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 204
Edgie311 said:
Thanks, but still feel I am not quite grasping what you mean.......a simple plate to cover both skimmer holes that has a connection for the vac hose?

Water flows into the skimmer from the opening in the side of the pool and from the hole that connects to the main drain. If you place the vacuum hose in the rear hole in the skimmer, all of the water flowing to the pump is coming from the hose. Nothing can flow from the drain or through the skimmer opening. If you place a skimmer vacuum plate over the skimmer and connect the hose to the vacuum plate, then water can flow from the main drain and the hose. You usually need to make this setup adjustable to reach the prescribed flow rate for your Navigator.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.