Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pressure loss....

1. Back To Top    #1

pressure loss....

When I connect my total length of vacum hose to the skimmer I lose about 2-3 lbs of pressure and the pump runs a little louder. When I connect the head (Hayward NaviGator) I lose even more (6-8 total). I disconnected the sections of hose and connected each piece of hose seperatly to see if it was a certain section that might be leaking and found none, each pice connected indiv experienced no pressure loss or change in pump noise. Any ideas??
    14K Gallon IG Diamond Brite Finish
    24SF DE Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pressure loss....

Is this a new problem or has it always done this? When you connect the hose and the cleaner, the flow to the pump through the skimmer is restricted. Less water in means less water out so the pressure is lower. If you have a main drain or multiple skimmers, it shouldn't be a problem, as the pump can draw water from them. Many cleaners have flow adjusting devices to allow the pump to draw some water from the skimmer and whatever is needed through the cleaner.

If it's a new problem, it could indicate a leak on the suction side of the pump someplace. The restricted flow causes lower pressure on the suction side, which could be causing air to enter through a leak. Do you get bubbles in the strainer basket or coming out the returns when the cleaner is hooked up?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

I have one skimmer that has two holes and a main drain (bottom of pool) I do not have or see a valve or switch to increase the suctiion of the main drain that I can tell. This problem seems to be relatively new that I can tell or has always been and I never really paid attention.
    24SF DE Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Edgie311
    I have one skimmer that has two holes and a main drain
    A two hole skimmer has the main drain routed through it, so when you connect the vacuum hose you are drawing all of the pump water through the hose. You need a regulator valve or adjustable vacuum plate, both of which are available from Hayward.
    TFP Moderator
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

so should the second hole have suction also because I do not feel any suction?
    24SF DE Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

No, the second hole shouldn't have any suction. It either goes to the main drain or is plugged.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

so should the second hole have suction also because I do not feel any suction?
    No, water enters the skimmer from the main drain via the hole closer to the pool, then all the water entering the skimmer goes to the pump through the second hole.

ETA: Half a second late Jason. You beat me.
    TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks, but still feel I am not quite grasping what you mean.......a simple plate to cover both skimmer holes that has a connection for the vac hose?[attachment=0:1krgdii1]850019b.jpg[/attachment:1krgdii1]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    24SF DE Filter

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks, but still feel I am not quite grasping what you mean.......a simple plate to cover both skimmer holes that has a connection for the vac hose?
    Water flows into the skimmer from the opening in the side of the pool and from the hole that connects to the main drain. If you place the vacuum hose in the rear hole in the skimmer, all of the water flowing to the pump is coming from the hose. Nothing can flow from the drain or through the skimmer opening. If you place a skimmer vacuum plate over the skimmer and connect the hose to the vacuum plate, then water can flow from the main drain and the hose. You usually need to make this setup adjustable to reach the prescribed flow rate for your Navigator.
    TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

Would the plate go down just above the two holes or would it sit right above the skimme basket?
    24SF DE Filter

11. Back To Top    #11

A vacuum plates sits on top of the skimmer basket. That is another advantage of using one, the skimmer basket catches large debris so it doesn't clog your pump strainer basket.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks, because I was plugging the navigatr straight in is why it was going like it was on steriods (moving very fast and climbing the walls like an AdHd 5yo?)

btw I have a birdcage so that is why large debris didnt make it obvious
    24SF DE Filter

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks, because I was plugging the navigatr straight in is why it was going like it was on steriods (moving very fast and climbing the walls like an AdHd 5yo?)
    Probably so.
    TFP Moderator

14. Back To Top    #14

JohnT,
    Just highjacking the thread to say I love your avatar! My favorite part of our morning routine is stopping the getting ready rush to see what the sheep and that dog are up to. I loved the monster tractor!
    24' Seaspray Evolution CLX Above Ground Pool (~13600 gallons)
    Pentair Sand Dollar SD60 / 22.5" filter / Maximum Flow Rate 60 GPM
    Pentair Dynamo Pump 1 1/2 HP