2 speed hayward went out, put in new one, now a problem

Oct 20, 2015
Temecula/CA
So my pool is about 10 years old & has a large spa also with a waterfall. All Hayward equipment.
They installed 2 (1 speed) pumps back then & each was 2 HP. 1 for waterfall, one for the pool/spa.
I have an in-house wall controller by the way.

The pool/spa pump went bad after 5 years and a pool guy put in a 2 speed 1.5 HP pump and my electric bill went down quite a bit. He had to install a relay for it to work & it worked perfectly for years.

So last week my 2 speed went out (froze up).
So I went online and ordered the same pump but a 2 HP. I figured it would be very easy to wire up and I can just get it going within 15 minutes using the same pump as before only this new one is .5 HP more. I went with this one because my pool originally had 2 HP pumps and my spa works better with it.

So now the problem.
I wired it up the same
Common wire
L1
L2
A

My old pump actually had
Common
H
L
(and not sure what the other was,maybe A)

So it pretty much made sense how to wire it.
I started the pump and only low speed worked. I switch the 2 wires for high/low and now only high speed works.
The relay clicks like it supposed to but nothing changes & its a newish relay I got about a year ago.

So if everything is wired correctly as it was before, the relay is working fine, why isn't the pump switching from low to high when I want it to?
The only thing left is maybe I got a faulty pump but I don't really know. I'm stuck right now and it only works on highspeed so at least my pool won't turn green.

Hoping someone here can help!
My wife is itching to tell me "you should've just hired a pool guy" but she's holding back for now! But I can see it in her eyes!

Thats what the relay is for. I have buttons inside my house on the controller. Low speed & High speed. So the switch is already wired and when I push the button you can hear the relay 'click'. And again, I am just replacing a pump with a new pump. I didn't add anything different other than moving up to a 2 HP.
The broken 2 speed pump had both speeds.

On the old pump H and L were the switched wires and the 'other' one was the common.
On the new pump A and L1 are the switched wires and L2 is the common.

I believe the wire you are calling 'common' is actually the ground wire.

Just to be sure, can you post pics of the pump as you have it wired?

This is how I believe they translate.

Attachments

• pump_wiring.jpg
    pump_wiring.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 29
ok, I made the change and it works now. I guess I assumed L1 and L2 were low and High. I think its weird how L = A but whatever.
If hayward would've included some type of wire diagram then I wouldn't have went through this but their manual doesn't mention any of this and I've read it three times.

thanks for the help!
My wife has some faith in me again.

A side story as to why I decided to do this myself. When my pump went out last week I had a pool guy come out and diagnose it. I said I wanted a 2 speed 2 HP pump and he made some calls and said they don't exist any longer. He wanted me to get a different one at that point which would be around $1200 after a rebate. He left, I went inside and found the exact one i needed for $700 and its available everywhere, even Amazon. Got it 2 days later via UPS and now it works perfectly.

The fact that he said its no longer available and I found it everywhere within minutes is when I decided to do this myself and saved $500 & learned a little something too. The past few years I've had a lot of trouble finding honest or knowledgeable service people.

Glad you were able to get it going!

You will always find honest and knowledgeable people here. :)

I'm surprised there wasn't a diagram on the side of the motor. That's where I got my info from. Pics on this site, of the side of motors.

As a side note: L1 and L2 almost always denote line power, either 110 or 220 for home users.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.