Seacoast, NH
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Pool company closed the pool and covered it with our mesh safety cover about 2 weeks ago that had been in the shed. Today I noticed that there is a hole in the cover that is large enough for leaves and very small animals to fall through. I'm guessing that a mouse chewed through it.

Any suggestions on what to do? I don't want to leave it and end up with a bunch of dead mice and leaves in the pool. I recently was laid off, so I'd prefer not to go through the expense of buying a new one right now.

I was thinking of buying some flexible mesh and a curved needle and sewing a patch on it. The hole is close enough to the edge that I could do that, laying on my stomach.

Thoughts? Should I plan on buying a new cover for next winter. This is the cover's 8th winter. TIA.

I have a buddy that always uses a large tarp like you can get at home depot, etc. over his whole mesh cover and holds them down with weights. He doesn't have a hole in his cover, he just likes it for other good reasons: less UV (opens later), less organic goo seeping into his water, etc.

That's an interesting idea. I see you're in a snowy area of the country too. Just wondering if 100+ inches of snow creates problems or is the tarp porous enough?

I am thinking you would need a pump on top to help drain the snow as it melts. The mesh cover might support the weight, but it could cause the tear to enlarge. Maybe a combo approach -sewing and a tarp until you can purchase a new cover??? Here in Illinois, I have a solid auto-cover and use a pump and have no problems. My friend does not get snow.... I will ask him to chime in with a response!

Most cover manufacturers make adhesive patches for small holes. I used one and really struggle to find it when trying to show somebody. It has held up for two winters now. Just peel the backing and stick it in place.

I am thinking you would need a pump on top to help drain the snow as it melts. The mesh cover might support the weight, but it could cause the tear to enlarge. Maybe a combo approach -sewing and a tarp until you can purchase a new cover??? Here in Illinois, I have a solid auto-cover and use a pump and have no problems. My friend does not get snow.... I will ask him to chime in with a response!

Here I am. :)

I see no reason why the mesh cover couldn't be repaired. That's what I would do.

The tarp I use is not porous, so a cover pump is necessary to keep excess water off. Once in a great while we'll get a decent snow (6-12"); its never been an issue. Of course it doesn't stick around very long here.

Ever since I started covering my mesh cover with a solid tarp (some years ago), the pool is much cleaner at opening, I can close and open when I want (usually open early May, close mid October), and the pool has never been green at opening. With just the mesh cover, I had to wait until late Nov to close and open by early March to avoid opening to a green pool. Also, all that fine dirt that went through the liner over the winter was a mess to clean up in the spring.

Eventually when the mesh cover wears out (it came with the pool in 2004 and still looks like it will last many more years) I'll replace it with a solid cover. But for now I can't see spending that kind of money when adding a tarp for alot less $$ works well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.