LifeTime Supporter
Jul 6, 2015
Charter Oak, California
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Not sure this is where I should be for this question..But here goes..
What precautions need to be taken when refilling 3/4 oz. and 2 oz. regeant bottles from larger 16 oz. bottles? (Besides the normal care taken when working with what amounts to hazardous chemicals, i.e. Eye protection, latex gloves, apron, etc. regular PPE type stuff). I also work in a clean environment when refilling bottles.
When the dropper tip comes off the smaller bottles, is it necessary to clean it with mild soap and water or simply rinse it off under running water?
I have purchased small plastic funnels to fill the smaller bottles as well. I have marked them and only use a specific funnel with a specific regeant.
Just trying to avoid any contamination of the regeant so my water testing doesn't go south on me.
Any and all suggestions or advice would be appreciated..is there anything I may have missed? Thanks in advance......

I only purchased 16oz. bottles of regeant because they're much less expensive than the 3/4 oz. or the 2oz. bottles. Expiration is about 12 months away, some are 18 months, so I should be ok. Purchased 16oz regeants to check Chlorine, PH, CYA, and TA. (I guess thats everything I test for, but only the regeants I use most.) New to pool chemistry so I've been testing like I have an addiction...every day at about 6:00 PM for Chlorine and PH, along with testing of everything once a week. And what seemed like every 15 minutes when I had to SLAM about a month ago. Went through regeants like it was whiskey. Probably overkill, but it has helped me better understand my pools specific chemistry. Thanks for checking on me...

It is very unlikely that the most often used chemicals will go bad in less than 24 months, if properly stored. I have found that the savings are immense, if buying in larger quantities. The last time I ran the numbers, some reagents were 8 times more expensive (per unit volume) in the smallest quantities than they were in the largest (practical) quantities.

At that cost savings, it would be cheaper to buy the larger quantity and throw half of it away, than buy in the small quantities.

When we first got our pool we were testing 3 times a day and ALL tests once a week. Many would say that is overkill, but I can, now, predict, with some accuracy, what the pool is doing just by looking at the weather and assessing bather load. We still test chlorine and pH once a day and all tests once a week. The better the data, the better the decisions. The less expensive the chemicals (reagents or maintenance) the lower the cost of ownership.

My thinking exactly....I found the same cost benefit when I did the math. It's good to know my pool care thinking is coming in line with the experts at TFP......Gotta go. I think my pool needs another FC & PH test before bed...:wave::wave:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.