New build in Mesa, Az

Sep 28, 2015
Mesa/az
Hey guys I'm about 2 weeks out from breaking ground on a new pool in Mesa Az. I've talked to Todd at BYOP and he's been a great help with design plans, permits, and preliminary list of subs. I would like to get names and numbers of subs you've used and been happy with along with some do's, don'ts and advice as well. I have a plumber lined up but do need subs for:

• layout
  • excavation
  • electrical
  • shotcrete

Heres the first rough draft of the pool, I couldnt get Todds rendering to copy over, this one from a PB i got a qoute from. Final design is 35'x22' with a 7' radius 6"water level deep ledge. The back wall will be 12" to 24" to 36" with 3' water shear.
Scan%2028.jpeg

and heres the pool we originally saw in a model home that we designed our pool after

IMG_3222.jpeg

I put some of what I know so far in my signature, I dont know pump size, filter size and a few other things yet.

I think now is about the right time to build too.
Thanks in advance
David

The sub contractor for the layout, excavation, rebar and shotcrete/gunite will probably be the same company. In Houston, I have seen that to be the case. Firms like Azteca Gunite or Houston Gunite do all the items mentioned.

Looking forward to seeing your build come along. Good luck

Dcole,

I just went through the process myself. I did my own layout.
Excavators- DSE, Tom Nichols, and Imperial are a few. I used DSE.
Electrical- Monster Power, Hagarty. I used Monster.
Shotcrete- DSE, Evans Shotcrete, National Shotcrete are a few. I went with DSE.
This is a list of some companies I got quotes from. I am sure there are more out there. I was pleased with the subcontractors I used.
Hope this helps.

They were within 2% of each other, DSE being higher. I decided to utilize DSE for nothing more than I knew I wouldn't have any issues with them telling me the excavation was not dug properly. Cheap insurance I thought.

I have not heard anything bad about National, I think they would do good work. It may not hurt to negotiate with DSE, all they could say is no.

Ok so theres been a slight delay as I broke my right hand and need to do a few things before the dig starts. I cant have anything within 8 feet of the back wall per the city so I need to move my shed which has water and elctricity to it. As soon as I get the water capped off and pull the wire I think I'll sell the shed and rebuild a different one down the road.

Equipment list came in Pentair VS pump 011018, cartridge filter 520 sq ft 160332, easytouch 8 function, wireless interface (phone app) $420 (seems like a lot for an app).

A 3 foot water sheer is going in and I came across CMP Brilliant Wonders LED sheer that looks very nice. Any readers have anu experience with these?

Hey guys I'm about 2 weeks out from breaking ground on a new pool in Mesa Az. I've talked to Todd at BYOP and he's been a great help with design plans, permits, and preliminary list of subs. I would like to get names and numbers of subs you've used and been happy with along with some do's, don'ts and advice as well. I have a plumber lined up but do need subs for:

• layout
  • excavation
  • electrical
  • shotcrete

Heres the first rough draft of the pool, I couldnt get Todds rendering to copy over, this one from a PB i got a qoute from. Final design is 35'x22' with a 7' radius 6"water level deep ledge. The back wall will be 12" to 24" to 36" with 3' water shear.
Scan%2028.jpeg

and heres the pool we originally saw in a model home that we designed our pool after

IMG_3222.jpeg

I put some of what I know so far in my signature, I dont know pump size, filter size and a few other things yet.

I think now is about the right time to build too.
Thanks in advance
David

Look like a nice design. I am currently in the process of an owner build in Mesa, AZ. I am working with a friend who is a contractor and he has subs that he was used for years so he has been able to save me some money. I am paying him a small percentage to manage the project. It has been worth it so far since I have had to do nothing. I think the excavation sub was American Excavation. Not sure on the steel and plumbing but ill find out. Passed 1st inspection today and I am scheduled for shotcrete Friday.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Marla you are right...........no naming names on the open board please.

TFP is here to help pool owners get and keep their pools clear. We also cheer lead and encourage as needed.

Sharing of names can be done through PM as needed/wanted.

THANKS!

Kim

Have you been able to get any response to the brilliant wonders water feature? I have been looking all over everywhere for reviews. I'm doing a build myself right now and i'm at the stage I need to decide on water features. Fiber Creations seems overly priced compared to CMP products.

-Ben

The Brilliant Wonders sheer came in at just under $1000, i decided to pass an that.

- - - Updated - - -

I finally got under way, shotcrete is gettong done today. Picked out a mini pebble with cobalt blue glass beads as an accent in the mix. Going with a glass cobalt blue 2x2 tiles for water line and baja step. I think I'm also going to do the full bench, back and bottom in tile. I'm in the air about the steps, either tile accent along the edge, tile full step with pebble risers or tile all the way risers and steps.

Attachments

• IMG_0953.jpg
    IMG_0953.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 84
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.