Closing poll question

May 15, 2015
Atlanta-GA-
Hi

I am following the steps listed on this site to close my pool. I placed Clorox shock into my pool and let it run for 24 hours per instructions. But then it says to run filter for 24 hours to ensure no algae bloom remains. Well my pool is green right now and the algae does not seem to be going away.
Shall I close it green, does it matter to close it clear or green?

Thanks

Patrick

Hi Patrick. Green would surely seem to indicate you have algae in there. Was it green before you added the Clorox Shock product? I suspect if you close now, you would just be left with a mess in the spring. Let me ask you ... are you totally closing your pool? Are you covering your pool and disconnecting equipment, etc? If not, perhaps consider implementing a "SLAM" (link below) to clear your pool. Once the temps drops soon, your water will be much easier to manage with just a little bleach periodically. But remember, the winter closing instructions are not designed to clear a pool that already has a large algae bloom in it. The SLAM/shock level increase of FC is to help eliminate any minor organic material that "may" be in the water, and also to help last through the winter months when water temp is below 60 degrees. But a true "SLAM" can take days or even a week or two. So it would appear to me you need to do a full SLAM process, then prepare for closing if that's what you intend to do. Also Patrick, when you have to increase your FC level to SLAM/shock level, I would recommend just regular liquid bleach (generic is fine). The main ingredient of Sodium Hypochlorite is all we need for a SLAM.

I hope this helps a bit. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. Have a nice evening.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.