VS Pump Problems

Jul 12, 2015
Ooltewah, TN
Hey all, got the new pool just about finished. Been having pump problems nearly from day one. We have a VS Hayward SP3200VSP with the controls wired into a Hayward Pro-Logic control panel all with a Hayward Salt Cell and DE filter.

So, after the first pump crapped out in the first couple of weeks with what seemed to be the communication board not working, they installed a new one. Now it seems to be running fine, BUT noticed that after a few hours, the pump runs, but nothing going in or out. Stop the pump, wait a few seconds, restart and everything starts back up. Same for all 4 speeds I have it set on. Seems to run strong for an hour, then slowly the jets ease and the filter pulls in less, again till eventually no flow. Stop, restart...etc.

Over and over. Despite the skimmer and bottom of pool clean. I have even backwashed a few times.

Called the pool peeps, and they have no idea, and not too thrilled to install a new one...same with the Hayward folks.

ANYONE had this problem??

Thanks
[h=1][/h]

- - - Updated - - -

And, yes, the pump is full of water...

So, after the first pump crapped out in the first couple of weeks with what seemed to be the communication board not working, they installed a new one. Now it seems to be running fine, BUT noticed that after a few hours, the pump runs, but nothing going in or out. Stop the pump, wait a few seconds, restart and everything starts back up. Same for all 4 speeds I have it set on. Seems to run strong for an hour, then slowly the jets ease and the filter pulls in less, again till eventually no flow. Stop, restart...etc.

What is the starting pressure? If you can follow the pump pressure (real closely), probably every 5-10 minutes, this may be a good indicator of what is going on. If pressure drops, then clearly the pump impeller is not moving fast enough, which could very well be an electrical issue. One way to trouble shoot this is to bypass the Hayward Pro-Logic control panel (if you can). Also, the pump can operate at 4 speeds (Is this a direct relationship to the control panel?). Sure sounds to me like this is an electrical issue. If you can lock the pump at one speed, this may further pinpoint the problem. Different speeds require more power. Maybe something is not wired in properly.

I would contact Hayward Customer Support. They are very good at helping you. Give them a call. Chances are that this is not the first time this problem has surfaced. Reading your post again, there must be an internal control that may shut the pump down to protect everything (not sure).

Sounds like the radiant type of pumps that were causing this issue with my friend. With my system, I purchased a 3 speed pump, with a control knob so I do not rely on a computer, but a human (if this makes sense).

I set the 4 speeds, basically because it gives me 4 options. Seems that 35% is the threshold at which salt produces. I can set it at one speed. ATTM its at 100%. It stays at one speed of my choice.
As for pressure, are you referring to the DE filter? Its around 15. But I have not watched it closely. Can check again when I return home for lunch.

No clue how to bypass the control panel.

Read about the impeller. I can check that, but again, for the first hour or so, all is well...then it goes downhill from there.

I noticed you mentioned that you backwashed the filter. You did remember to recharge it with DE after that, right?

Also, you say that the pump is running, but after a while you notice there is no water movement. A question that popped into my mind is. "Do you see water in the pump basket area?" When you shut it off, do you notice water filling into the pump basket.

Pictures of the equipment and pool would be really helpful, maybe..

As for pressure, are you referring to the DE filter? Its around 15. But I have not watched it closely. Can check again when I return home for lunch.

Yes, on the filter. The pressure is a direct relationship to the pump. Also, as pabeader mentions, check the pump basket (should be down below the plumbing and upon start up, what happens?). Thank you.

Oh no! Hopefully, it's okay. I have read that if you run a DE filter without DE in it, the 'socks' can get plugged up and the only way to fix it is to replace them. Maybe get lucky and be able to clean them with a hose.

After every backwash, you need to recharge a DE filter with approx. 80% of it's 'normal' amount. So if it a 10 lb filter then you would replace 8 lbs of it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.