Captain Sander

Hello all, new pool owner here from new jersey. just purchased a house with an inground pool. according to my estimates (online calculator), the pool is around 23k gallons.....and its green..... previous owners stopped running the filter when they knew the house was sold. so lets kick through the things I do know.
pump- Hayward northstar 1 1/2 hp
filter- Anthony VA52- D.E. filter
pool cleaner- Polaris 380 and Polaris booster pump.

been starting to read up on what I need to do to "get the green out". still a lot to take in and understand. I do not have the tester kit that you guys recommend, only a standard type kit the previous owner left me. did one test so far ph is high and chlorine is non-existent pretty much. good new is the weather is colder here now so its slowed the algae growth.

I have noticed the manual vacuum does not seem to have very much suction. I believe it is because the filter is to clogged up but I cant backwash it just yet due to the valve missing a handle and not functioning properly. have someone coming out to look at that in the next few days. so I guess im at a standstill until that gets resolved.

will be working on a proper signature today fyi

While you are waiting on the handle fix go ahead and order the TF-100XL Look in my siggy for the link. You are going to need it to clear the green.

For right now you can be adding a jug of Walmart Great Value bleach (plain bleach) a day to keep it from getting worse. Make sure the pump is running for at least an hour after you add the bleach.

If you are good with your hands we might be able to walk you through fixing your handle. Let us know if you want to do it on your own.

Kim

Welcome to TFP! Glad you found us cause we can certainly help you turn that green mess into your own clean, clear oasis.

Your first step though is to order that TF-100 XL test kit from TFTestkits.net. This is the best test kit out there and since your pool is green you'll need that XL version of the reagents to see you through a SLAM procedure which kills all the algae and cleans up the water. A Speed Stir device is a useful fun extra that really speeds up the testing.

Once you get that kit bring us your test results and we'll talk you through it. In the meantime delve into Pool School, and learn all about pool care.

Bring us any questions you have.

09f72011fd483034c33016211a2197fe.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hey Capt! that is not too bad! I can still see the steps! This will be a walk in the park for us!

We have cleared ones that were TRUE swamps with tadpoles and full eco-systems growing!

I love the shape and area. NICE pick of a property!

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support