Contactor chattering noise

bigred

May 22, 2011
I have a Great Lakes hot tub with a Brett Aqualine spa pack in it. I have replaced both contactors and both relays. When it calls for heat it will hang up between calling for heat and not calling for heat making this awful contactor chatter noise. If you turn the dial higher or lower when it does the noise it will stop. It is like the temp setting will not pull in the contactor and it hangs up between calling and not calling for heat. I was going to replace the Tecmark 2 button controller next I guess. Any help is appreciated.

Nobody wants to take a stab at this? Come on somebody say something....

I pretty much think it needs a new pressure switch. Plus a thermostat which is hooked to the topside controller which leads me to the replacement of the Tecmark 2 button controller.

Hi, I will say something. I got nothin! :-D

Weird that replacing the the contactor didn't solve it. Temp sensor or control panel seem like logical next steps to try. Good luck!

I'll say something, "something". Contactors usually chatter because the contacts are burnt. If a new one us still chattering, then its a wiring problem which can range from the controller, bad pressure switch, or flow issues. Basically, something is causing an intermittent current of electricity to the contactors coil. The intermittent flow of current causes the switch to chatter.

Fair enough. Thanks. I ordered pressure switch today and will see if that takes care of it. We are starting out simple. If that doesn't do it then I will head to the temp sensor (thermostat). I will start pricing out a top side controller. Prob should replace it anyway before it is discontinued. Stay tuned.

I'm sorry that I didn't see this sooner. Unfortunately I think it's probably the controller. However, you should check the wiring into and out of the controller to ensure the connections are good and tight. Low voltage to the controller or contactors will cause symptoms like you describe, and since the heater is a high current draw device, if there's a loose connection it will cause a low voltage situation when it's energized.

update: I ordered the new topside controller and it plugs right into the side of the Brett Aqualine pack just fine. It still does not call for heat when the dial is turned up. With the topside controller unplugged from the spa pack, I can jumper the two female plug sockets (violet and violet/white) and it will call for heat just fine. After jumping these sockets the heat kicked in, I thought for sure it was the topside controller.

Now I am completely stumped, but we are getting there, slowly of course.

Does anybody have ideas? I tried to attach the wiring diagram but not sure if it came through correctly.

wiring diagram.jpg

I don't see where you're jumping the violet and violet/white wires together. I see where if you jump the white and violet/white it should bypass the thermostat and would call for heat. is that where you're placing the jumper?

no, I was jumping the violet and violet/white wire at the block plug and it was calling for heat. When the new controller is plugged in and the dial is turned up it does not call for heat.

I can't see the diagram clearly, so maybe what I'm seeing as a 'W' on the lower right side of the block receptacle is actually a "V".

If you can adjust the thermostat shown in the upper middle of the diagram, does adjusting it cause unit operate without jumping V - V/W?

I assume that there is power to the Spa Side Control?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry for the delay in answering all the questions. I was able to get a brand new older style top side controller and that fixed the problem. No more chattering contactors. It is a brass thermostat and not a newer digital one so not as accurate but does the job. Basically should have done a top side controller first and would not have had to rebuild the spa pack.

thanks for everyone's help on this! Like always, ya'll are genius'!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.