To close or not to close. First Winter.

pabeader

LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
May 14, 2015
Cartersville Ga
This is my first winter with me in control of the pool. I'm trying to decide whether to 'close' or just 'maintain'.
I know that last year, all that was done was some water drawn off, maybe, to bottom of skimmer, and a tarp thrown down on the water. There are no plugs anywhere. There are no gizmos. I seriously doubt they even removed water from any of the stuff on the pad.

I'm wondering if there are any members in my general area and what they do. Or any folks in a similar temperate zone with insights.

I'm willing to go either way, but I'm leaning towards 'maintain'. Just run pump during night hours for freeze prevention, but I wonder if that is even required, given last years experience.

You don't want to plan your defense from last year unless last year was the coldest on record. IF ... it freezes and things start to crack it can get expensive fast.
You should look at what the worst winter temps your area has had for the last 20 or 30 years and plan according to that. Find out what the worst temps you can expect and how many days were near or below freezing to figure out how much electricity you might be using up running the pump to keep everything in good shape.
With that knowledge you can figure out if you want to run the pump and just maintain or close it down and put a couple bucks of RV antifreeze in the pump, filter, ...

No pool company closing for this pool. Wife said it was a couple of guys that came and just laid a tarp down and put a few flat cement pavers down to hold them in place. Then they stuck the vacuum hose under and laid it down on the slope and started a siphon. After a fee minutes, they dragged it up and left it lying right where they were using it. I truly believe it was just some guys the landlord paid to make it 'look' good.
I'm the one that did the rehab and opening this year. From what I was told the pool had not been used or closed or anything for at least 2 years prior to me taking over. I believe that!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.