thoughts on these series of videos on closing your pool

The video is great to watch just so you have an idea of the actual concept on what needs to be done, but it is not the answer. The TFP instructions are excellent in how you should close your pool, although you will need to understand your plumbing. The video shows only that pool.

A couple of questions:

Q: What type of blower air compressor are you using?
Q: Where exactly are you hooking it up to?
Q: How many main drains, return jets and skimmers to you have?
Q: Are you using black rubber plugs or duck plugs?
Q: What valves do you have that operate the MD, returns, and skimmers?

You can push air through the system, either at the equipment pad or through the skimmer. The filter should be on recirculate. Maybe sending over some pictures of the plumbing from front and side views would be helpful. We can then move forward.

Eh, as a new pool owner I sort of thought pool school articles on closing/startup/equipment as well as metals were lacking in comparison to all the great info on chemistry.

I would agree....things that seem so obvious to the seasoned pool owner can baffle a beginner....I had the local pool company close (filter and lines only), watched what they did, and learned....there are different ways pools are plumbed, so my questions were my-pool specific...

So your pool is closed?

We can still help you get an idea on what to do with your pool. If the pool company closed the lines and winterized the filter, then in the spring when temperatures break, you can open up your own pool (kind of). Just remove all the fittings and open up all the valves (like normal). Then you can practice closing your pool and not have to worry about freezing temperatures. There will be no reason to pay a pool company a lot of $$$ to turn a few valves and add some bleach in the spring.

If you can please answer some of my questions, and possibly add some pictures of the equipment pad, we can go from there. A front view and side view of the equipment pad is best.

I would agree....things that seem so obvious to the seasoned pool owner can baffle a beginner....I had the local pool company close (filter and lines only), watched what they did, and learned....there are different ways pools are plumbed, so my questions were my-pool specific...

I understand your questions are specific towards your pool, and your are correct stating that pools are plumbed differently, and this is why we will need a configuration of your set up in order to move forward. Thank you.

The video is great to watch just so you have an idea of the actual concept on what needs to be done, but it is not the answer. The TFP instructions are excellent in how you should close your pool, although you will need to understand your plumbing. The video shows only that pool.

A couple of questions:

Q: What type of blower air compressor are you using?
Q: Where exactly are you hooking it up to?
Q: How many main drains, return jets and skimmers to you have?
Q: Are you using black rubber plugs or duck plugs?
Q: What valves do you have that operate the MD, returns, and skimmers?

You can push air through the system, either at the equipment pad or through the skimmer. The filter should be on recirculate. Maybe sending over some pictures of the plumbing from front and side views would be helpful. We can then move forward.

1) bought a used cyclone vac/blower.
2) hooking up to skimmer (have two skimmers and will probably blow out from both just to be safe)
3) have one main drain in pool and a drain in the spa (plan to totally drain spa and blow out spa drain)
4) black rubber plugs
5) combination valves

I will try to get some photos soon

If you are pushing air through the skimmers, after you close the first skimmer, then work on returns, spas, and lastly on the main drain. With the Cyclone, you can keep everything open, including the main drain. As you plug each area, the next area will start bubbling, and so on.

The filter will need to be on "recirculate". Here is some information on winterizing the filter:

WINTERIZING

1. Completely drain tank by unscrewing drain cap at base of filter tank. Leave cap off during winter.

2. Depress Vari-Flo control valve handle and rotate so as to set pointer on valve top between any two positions. This will allow water to drain from the valve. Leave valve in this "inactive" position.

Remove other adapters and fittings on pump and filter. Store for the winter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.