Builder Installed Wrong Finish Travertine - Demand Replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErikU19

LifeTime Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hey Guys,

I'm in the final stages of building the pool and have a problem before the final $8,000 payment.

It turns out the builder installed "honed and filled" travertine on the decking. Since it is honed and filled it is perfectly smooth and has no texture/porousness to it. This creates a huge problem in wet areas as there is no grip or friction making a very slippery surface when wet.

The coping is tumbled travertine and has different elevations, is porous and is much less slip resistant. Just how travertine in wet areas should be!

I wasn't aware of the issue when it was being installed - only after the pool was filled and was being used did it become obvious that something was wrong when everyone was sliding around/children were falling.

The builder has no reason/explanation for the different finish on the decking other than it was a mistake.

They tried etching the tile but I still don't find it acceptable - I have to live with this forever and the last thing I need is to constantly worry about children and guests falling.

I'm going to demand it be replaced before I make my final payment - the material is wrong and it needs to be fixed.

what do you think?

Depending on how much decking it is, he may well walk away from the 8K. All you can do is ask, but I would get him to acknowledge it was a mistake in writing somehow, even if it was email. They should be willing to make good on it, but we all know how things that "should" be actually turn out like. Best of luck, and let us know how it gets sorted.

My decking is the tumbled travertine with honed and filled coping. That works fine for us since we really don't run around on the coping like kids would. But I agree, something has to be done to lower the risk of falling. I wouldn't be able to use our deck if it were honed and filled.

I know there are sealers or finishes with a sand-type substance to give more grip. I'm not sure how that would work on honed and filled travertine. I would want both slip resistance and looks to be good. You could try that out on a small inconspicuous area.

I think Patrick might be right about the builder walking on your final payment. For me, I would test the gritted sealer. If it works to your satisfaction, then ask him to pay for the materials and labor of adding the sealer. If that doesn't work, then I would push him to replace the travertine and see what happens. Ask him if he has any other options.

He doesn't want to be liable in any way for injuries....

Good luck,
Suz.

Depending on how much decking it is, he may well walk away from the 8K. All you can do is ask, but I would get him to acknowledge it was a mistake in writing somehow, even if it was email. They should be willing to make good on it, but we all know how things that "should" be actually turn out like. Best of luck, and let us know how it gets sorted.

Yes, 8k doesn't go far with travertine. Definitely agree about getting it in writing. I would want it fixed too

I've looked at fixes for it like you guys have mentioned. They do make sealers/top coats that will make the finish slip resistant by adding texture/grit.

I spent 10k on the travertine upgrade because of its natural beauty and the fact it is literally maintenance free. If I have to apply a coating every year or two I've forfeited that which is unacceptable to me.

It's right around 1000sq ft.

Part of me wants to find a work around - but a larger part of me knows the only way to make it right is replacing it.

Just making sure I'm not being a you know what lol. I have to live with it forever! (the patio - i'll get over being a you know what;)

I would also want it corrected and not a band-aid fix that requires yearly or bi-yearly maintenance. See what the builder says and stick to your guns!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you had a SWG system, then sealing the Travertine would make more sense. But you really don't need to.

I'm so sorry this happened. I plan to seal ours since we have salt chlorination. I don't think I would like a gritty surface added to the Travertine. I want it protected but still feel the natural stone.

I hope your PB will work with you on this. Maybe some others* will have more suggestions.

Suz.

I'm going to demand it be replaced before I make my final payment - the material is wrong and it needs to be fixed.
That seems to settle it, doesn't it?

Is your documentation in order? That'll be the determining factor

Like Patrick_B, I think he might take a walk.

You can probably pick up 1,000 sq ft of travertine for about $6k, maybe less from travertinemart or other wholesaler, so your PB should be in a position to come out pretty unscathed. You can get your correct deck and he can offload the incorrect stone at .60 on the dollar. That would be better than him taking the $8k bath on the final payment.

The quote/build didn't specify the travertine finish - it is just says "Travertine".

I don't think it would be a very hard argument with a judge on the safety of the correct finish around a pool - especially considering the pool builder installed it and the first travertine laid (coping) was tumbled.

I'll keep you guys posted.

That seems to settle it, doesn't it?

Is your documentation in order? That'll be the determining factor

Like Patrick_B, I think he might take a walk.

Another lesson on keeping a significant portion of the payment for the end.

I would have nothing to stand on if we had agreed to the original payment terms which had the final payment before work was completed.

Maybe there could be a way to "unhone" the surface by grinding, blasting or etching. You may want to talk to a travertine supplier. It may be possible to grind or otherwise treat the surface of the stone to improve it. Whether this is acceptable or not is up to you, but you may want to educate yourself if there are options just in case your builder is unwilling to fix it or suggests some process.

There are a couple of options to repair this situation in place. All of them should provide a satisfactory result for less than $8k. I would steer you away from sealers or other coatings due to there temporary nature. These suggestions are based on how the face of the stone is processed at the quarry prior to delivery to your supplier. Essentially this processing can be done after installation and often is redone after 7-10 years of commercial level wear.

1) Sandblast surface - contractor will blast media (sand, walnut shells, glass beads) to achieve the surface you desire. This is the most economical and simple solution.
2) Flaming - contractor will heat surface with a torch and then spray water on the hot stone causing some areas to flake off. This provides a very elegant appearance which is very smooth to the touch but has a lot of texture for grip. This will likely be the most expensive solution.
3) Brushing - Wire brushes are used to grind the surface and leave behind thin groves for traction. This will most closely resemble honed travertine, it will be a low gloss finish with brush marks as shallow or deep as you desire.
4) Shot blasting - This technique is commonly used to etch concrete before coating. Steel shot is blasted out of the bottom of a special machine that continuously vacuums the work area to recover shot and pick up the dust and fragments. This is a commercial technique used by concrete finishers that typically work on big box retail projects. The result will most closely resemble tumbled travertine with irregular corners and deep impressions.

I've requested that the decking be replaced.

I'm sure the builder will disagree and threaten litigation.

Unfortunate turn of events, really. I'm a pretty easy going guy - but after seeing my kiddos fall continuously I'm going to take a hard line. Some of the options that Vermaraj posted may work - but it is just a tile and not a paver so I'm a little worried about the durability of it afterwards (shot blasting). TUMBLED TRAVERTINE is what you want around your pool...don't forget it :)

I'll keep you guys posted.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.