my neighbor has a different method of pool closing - is it correct?

abfab

Gold Supporter
Nov 12, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Today I noticed a couple of guys closing my backyard neighbor's pool. I'm not sure if they have a company as they were dressed kind of bummy. Since they have a similar pool to ours and we've only lived here a couple of years I decided to watch. I missed the start and from my vantage point there is a lot that I can't see, but I noticed that they did things differently from what I was taught (both from reading online and at the pool shop seminar I attended once).

First, they only dropped the water level a few inches (backwash perhaps?), not the 6" below the skimmer that I was told. Then they inserted stoppers into the returns and tightened with a wrench - they were still below the water line. Also they did not remove the lights and weight them down. I saw what looked like a yellow blower. I'm guessing that maybe they sucked up the water from the pump end? Not sure if they blew from the skimmer.

I can't see the skimmer, but I could see them poor 2-3 bottles of chemicals near the skimmer but not sure what they were. Aside from the gizmo it looked like they temporarily put in a gadget that I've never seen - it was a white corrugated pipe with a weight or ball of some sort on one end, possibly 3-4 ft long. What is that?

We've only had our house for a couple of years so I can't comment much on how much water accumulates. Last year there wasn't much accumulation, the previous year it was top of the skimmer. Our winters often dip below 0F.

Does this method of pool closing sound ok? I'm wondering if we are needlessly dropping our water level??

This question is hard to answer as you did not see the closing from start to finish.

.. The yellow blower was probably a Cyclone (which is more orange), or the mighty vac.
... They cold have plugged the returns and pushed air through the system, eventually removing water at the end and then plugging everything.
.... They could have just poured RV Anti-freeze down the skimmer drains, which some people do.

In order for us to help, we would need to know exactly what the pool company did to your neighbors pool. Please ask your neighbor and report back to us. There are many ways people close pools, and I could never answer any questions truthfully without having the facts first. Thank you.

You may want to explain how you wish to close your pool as well. :D

Hello,

There are so many methods. Maybe you missed them while they were blowing the lines from the equip pad and just saw them plug the returns. They were probably pouring antifreeze in the skimmer/ gizmo.

I live in NY and when I closed my pool I did what the pool company did last year drooped the water to 1/4 of the way in the skimmer, no way will I drop it below my returns because that is too low and may cause issues with my liner.

BTW, I am in the same boat as you having the pool for only 2 years now. But i had to get it completely redone when i moved to my house because the previous owner did not maintain it properly and they also dropped the water too low the year before i bought it and caused the liner to rip at the corner. also there was water intrusion issues from the outside that didn't help any.

catanzaro: Yes it appears to be a Cyclone. I think they did plug and push air through the system. I've never seen it done this way.

Any idea what that white corrugated contraption is for?

finalm6: I live in Toronto and have never heard of liner issues before. The closing instructions from all the pool shops here recommend lowering below the returns. I am intrigued by the idea of being able to thoroughly blow the lines without having to remove so much water (which may have to be added back in the spring if there's little precipitation) and avoid the annoyance of removing/replacing the lights.

-Can explain how you blow your lines? Is it like this? (see Inground steps #7, 8, 14) How to Winterize And Close A Swimming Pool - Poolandspa.com.
-When you say 1/4 way in the skimmer do you mean below the skimmer?
-Isn't the light niche at greater risk of cracking with the light still in? I was told to remove and lower them.

I would appreciate any info anyone has on this. I will probably close my usually way in a few days but want to be prepared to try this next year.
Thanks!

Abfab:

As mentioned before, without knowing what they used, where they started the process, it will be extremely difficult at this point.

Please post different pictures of your pool and equipment pad, from all angles and we can help you better understand your system and where you could possibly blow air through, etc.

They probably had an extension, threaded into the skimmer and this is where they pushed air through (that simple). I can only suspect that in Canada, where it gets real cold, any pool builder would lower the water below the returns. Blowing out the lines would be easy as you are removing 100% of the water and then plugging everything. Water can stay even at the 1/2 way mark in the skimmers and still have the pool closed successfully. I only lowered the winter 2" below the skimmer, and nothing more.

Some people are not comfortable with lowering the water below the returns as they feel the liner could be damaged. If there is no air/water or pressure behind the liner, the liner should not wrinkle, bubble, shift, or float if water is drained below the returns. My concern with draining below the skimmers to the returns is the pool support system. If the support system and structure of the wall is not very sound, you could have some problems. My pool was built with enlarged deck supports and 6" concrete pillars, therefore protecting the first 4' all the way around the pool. I have seen pool walls with no supports at all, just small anchors.

409.jpg

catanzaro: Yes it appears to be a Cyclone. I think they did plug and push air through the system. I've never seen it done this way.

finalm6: I live in Toronto and have never heard of liner issues before. The closing instructions from all the pool shops here recommend lowering below the returns. I am intrigued by the idea of being able to thoroughly blow the lines without having to remove so much water (which may have to be added back in the spring if there's little precipitation) and avoid the annoyance of removing/replacing the lights.

-Can explain how you blow your lines? Is it like this? (see Inground steps #7, 8, 14) How to Winterize And Close A Swimming Pool - Poolandspa.com.
-When you say 1/4 way in the skimmer do you mean below the skimmer?
-Isn't the light niche at greater risk of cracking with the light still in? I was told to remove and lower them.

I would appreciate any info anyone has on this. I will probably close my usually way in a few days but want to be prepared to try this next year.
Thanks!

abfab- I don't have any lights so i cannot comment on that. Regarding blowing the lines while they are still under water basically it takes 2 people one person at the equipment pad blowing the line and another person standing near the return to cover them while there bubbling at that point most if not all the water will be blown out of the pipes with only a little bit left in there.
Regarding the skimmer its 1/4 in the skimmer, again this is how my pool company has been doing it for the past 2 years and we have been getting some serious freezing here and have not had any issues using the ultra gizmo with antifreeze in it.

when I moved to my house 3 years ago i opened the pool and the liner was ripped in the corner, I got 3 estimates from pool installers to replace the liner and I asked each one of them what they think caused this issue, and they all answered it appears the water was lowered too much and the liner was strained. my returns are kind of low almost 2 feet down on the shallow end.

again this is my experience and this is what I watched the pool company do and no issues.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.