Winter Cover for 12x24 Above ground intex

DFam

May 30, 2015
Harrisburg/ PA
Hello! I'm hoping someone out there has a great suggestion on how to cover this pool!! We took it down last year but this year we put a deck on one end of it and want to leave it up. It is a 12x24 rectangular pool. I was told I would have to have a winter cover "custom made". We live in Central Pa. Please help!!

Hello! I'm hoping someone out there has a great suggestion on how to cover this pool!! We took it down last year but this year we put a deck on one end of it and want to leave it up. It is a 12x24 rectangular pool. I was told I would have to have a winter cover "custom made". We live in Central Pa. Please help!!

Winter covers don't seem to be anything more than a heavy duty tarp. Do you have an Ollie's in your area? they seem to have tarps at good prices there, or even a tractor Supply would have them.

Any city with lots of trucking company's will most likely have a tarpaulin shop. Look in the yellow page phone book, and they can make you a very heavy duty one up to the size and shape you need, and place as many grommets as you need around it. Will last you for years.

Thank you all! I found a heavy duty tarp at Home Depot, 16 x 32. Is that the right size for a 12 x 24 pool? We are going to drain the pool just under the intake valve and cover. How many "air pillows" should we use and what do we do when the snow comes? Sorry if I sound completely clueless, but I am new at this!!
LOL

Many people use air pillows, but some do not. The "real" reason for the pillow is to provide a cushion for ice to expand against if your pool freezes. The thought being if you did not have one, the ice would instead push against your pool walls.

However, many people also find the pillows useful for keeping water off the cover. It makes it easier to drain when there is a "moat" effect. Some people pump off their covers (I used to before mine started leaking) - it lets the leaves blow off. Others let water get on top - it helps with wind. You just want to keep any water at or below the normal water level in the pool when it is full.

There is not much you can do about snow, except look at it. As long as your cover is resting on the water underneath, it should be fine. If you have it stretched like a drum, the weight of the snow is going to rip it. Even in a bad winter, I tend to find a few days of a warm spell where there is meltwater in the cover. I just pump that off.

-dave

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.