Winterizing - Auto Cover + Safety Cover?

Dooby

Sep 11, 2015
WI
Hey All,

First time pool owner out of WI and closing down my pool this weekend. The pool has an auto cover that we have been using for the daily use but for winter, should that cover be closed and then have a safety cover anchored over the top? Or should the auto cover be wound up to the end and just use the mesh safety (anchored) cover? I planned on lowering the water just below the return lines which may be too much stress for the auto cover given the water will be further down than normal...

Thanks!

The autocover probably can't handle the weight of snow/ice/water with water much below the skimmers, I'm told if using the autocover for a winter cover we would need to not lower the water at so it could handle the snow load. We have both covers and when we winterize we drop the level about 2 inches below the returns, roll up the autocover (leave it open) and put just the winter cover on.

Ours is a solid winter cover, but it works the same as a mesh for snow/ice the anchors do not hold much weight, instead the cover sinks down and sits on the pool's water to hold up all that weight. The autocover doesn't have the springs, etc to allow it to sink that far.

We roll the auto cover in the open position and then have a Loop Lock winter cover that has center drains that lets the water from snow melt drain into the pool. We drain about 1.5 feet below the skmmer. But then again we have a plaster pool and drain and power wash every spring.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.