Autopilot Digital DIG 60 Install help

The only issue with the IntelliFlo is that the AutoPilot requires a minimum flow rate in order to generate chlorine. That limits just how slow you can run the IntelliFlo. At the lowest possible speed the AutoPilot may not get enough flow to turn on. Usually this isn't a problem. Usually you end up running the IntelliFlo at least as fast as the AutoPilot requires anyway. But it is something to be aware of.

Also, with a IntelliFlo VF, you will probably not want to install the AutoPilot as a timer for the pump. Instead you will probably want to use the timer built into the pump. Or, if you have an automation system, you will be using the timer in the automation system.

The IntelliFlo VF is a wonderful pump, probably the best on the market right now. Because it is variable speed, if there is any problem you can simply turn up the speed to solve the problem. As I said, it probably won't come up at all. And with that particular pump, if there is an issue, it is easily solved.

Which wiring configuration would I use with the VF and Autopilot to have the VF timer control the Autopilot the way you mentioned? I do have an Intermatic timer box where the power is coming from. I guess I would just keep that power on all the time and not use those timers?

I would wire both the pump and the AutoPilot directly to power, really to a master power switch or the old timer acting as a switch with the timer part set to be always on. The pump can use it's own timer and the AutoPilot can use the flow sensor to determine when the pump is on.

It would be better in some ways if the AutoPilot was only powered when the pump was running. Unfortunately, to do that you would have to give up several features of the pumps built-in timer, which isn't worth it.

I know there are amperage powered relays in existence (as opposed to volt powered). Don't know what they're called or where to get them, but maybe someone with more electrical experience can chime in? If you had one on your pump line you could use it as a relay to power the Autopilot when the pump is on without interfering with the pump itself.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
spishex said:
I know there are amperage powered relays in existence (as opposed to volt powered). Don't know what they're called or where to get them, but maybe someone with more electrical experience can chime in? If you had one on your pump line you could use it as a relay to power the Autopilot when the pump is on without interfering with the pump itself.

Are you think about something like this?

Interesting idea would indeed solve the issue. Cost and installation are considerations.

patf11 said:
spishex said:

Are you think about something like this?

Interesting idea would indeed solve the issue. Cost and installation are considerations.

Precisely! Looks like you can get one for around $25-30. Thanks for finding it!

Well, 'need' is a strong word. Because the autopilot detects water flow it basically has it's own on/off switch. If there's insufficient flow the cell won't come on. Many people operate their pool heaters this way. However, there's always a chance that a pressure or flow switch can get stuck closed.

This instruction sheet gives you an idea how one is installed (though the models in this paper couldn't handle the current load of the autopilot). The supply line for the pump is run through (or wrapped around) the amperage sensor on it's way to the pump, and the supply line for the autopilot is run through the relay. The one linked to above can handle 20 amps and goes for around $80. You'd need some sort of subpanel for it.

seems pretty complicated. I think I may be better off trying it the way Jason mentioned. But aren't there many other people out there with an Intellflo VF and Auto Pilot? I just wonder how they all wire theirs up?

The most common setup with an IntelliFlo VF is to have an automation system. The automation system would control the pump and the AutoPilot, taking care of turning the AutoPilot on and off to match the pump.

The second most common setup is the way I described.

It is also possible to have the AutoPilot turn the pump on and off. That is the most common setup with a standard single speed pump. But with an IntelliFlo VF that setup disables several of the cool features of the IntelliFlo VF.

There are other possible ways of setting it up as well, but the rest of them are fairly uncommon.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.