Pool Cleaner Advice: repair or change cleaner?

Apr 16, 2009
I currently have a Kreepy that needs a new base and some new hose. Each replacement hose piece is 10.00, or 100 for all 40 ft, plus the 50.00 for the "base", plus shipping. Total about 180.00.
I also have an Aquabot, without the remote, that continually sucks up the electric cord.
My pool is a 16 x 32 foot inground vinyl, without a dedicated cleaning line. I have two lines (returns?). I purchased a new 1.0HP Sta-Rite dynaglass pump last summer.

So, do I repair the Kreepy or invest in a different type of cleaner? I can't use a booster cleaner without the dedicated line, can I?

I feel the response to repair or replace would vary on who you ask and should probably be up to you and your checkbook. I repair my Kreepy Krauly as needed and I get my parts from the Internet, usually from the big auction site. The prices were much lower than the pool store and the parts worked fine.

How old is your Kreepy? Do the other parts look OK or need replacing soon as well? I paid about that for my Kreepy from the Internet.

I also have an Aquabot, without the remote, that continually sucks up the electric cord.
Welcome to the forum. All the robot cords I have seen float up and out of the way of the cleaner. Does your cord not float?

Your post seems to indicate you have dismissed the aquabot but, depending on the model, it should have quite a bit more cleaning power and be better suited to your pool size.

pmccaul1 said:
The unit is actually only 1 year old. I was very surprised to have this issue so soon, as the last Kreepy held up much longer.
What big auction site are you referring to?

Probably ebay. I buy parts for all kinds of things there - it is frequently the first place I'll check.

Well, I haven't actually dismissed the Aquabot, but it is very annoying that I can't leave it alone at all. Every time I walk in the house, it sucks up the cord. The cord does float, but when the bot travels around, it always manages to grab the cord. Every time! I work a lot of hours, and long days, so I want to have a cleaner work while I am gone so that I can swim when I get home...

duraleigh said:
Welcome to the forum. All the robot cords I have seen float up and out of the way of the cleaner. Does your cord not float?

Your post seems to indicate you have dismissed the aquabot but, depending on the model, it should have quite a bit more cleaning power and be better suited to your pool size.

I would make a call to Aquabot support. Something is wrong with your cleaner. Others here on the forum really like aquabots and have good success (I don't have one). Again, I don't know what model you have but most are pretty powerful cleaners.

We just bought a used, very old Aquabot Turbo for dirt cheap and it works great, with a couple exceptions. It doesn't cover the whole pool, and well, actually that's the only complaint we have. :-D The little booger kept trying to eat it's cord. So we sliced a couple of pool noodles and put on the cord and that keeps the cord toward the middle of the pool. It did try to swallow a noodle, but couldn't get it, so it crawled over it instead and almost crawled right out of the pool. But that's only happened once and we feel comfortable about leaving it alone now.

Too bad the older models don't have the option of keeping it strictly on the pool floor, like the newer model does! :roll:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.