Just opened pool

I think you should not use anymore cal-hypo for shocking. It's more expensive to use than liquid chlorine and your Calcium is already at 250, which is unneccessary for a vinyl liner.

Your CC is increasing because the chlorine, as it's consumed by whatever organics are in your water, becomes CC. As odd as it sounds, you need more chlorine to then oxidize the CC. It takes lots of chlorine, and POP - pool owner patience, when you have a situation like yours. You need to keep adding chlorine, sometimes several times a day, doing your best to keep the FC up to shock level, which can mean frequent if not hourly (in some extreme cases) additions of chlorine.

So more chlorine, and more POP.... :wink: :goodjob:

Sorry, I know how frustrating this is... I really do. :(

Ok, I finally have my chlorine up to 15ppm. It took 8 bottles of bleach. Now if I understand right, I need to recheck in an hour and replenish chlorine to keep to 15ppm, correct? I may be figuring this out, finally :hammer: My cc dropped as well! Yay me!! :goodjob: Had to go down the road a bit to another Wal-Mart to get bleach, but it was worth the trip if I can get a handle on this pool! Broke my hand this weekend,(which may be a blessing in disguise 8) ) so will be off work for 2 wks and will be home to continually check my levels.

Thanks for all the help. Will let you know how things are going.

Now if I understand right, I need to recheck in an hour and replenish chlorine to keep to 15ppm, correct? I may be figuring this out, finally.
Yep, you've got it. It's rewarding for all of us here who respond to see the "light" go on as someone figures out the significance of large doses of chlorine. It looks like you just did.

I think it took me a week or so longer than you but, man, it made it even sweeter when I finally got it. :lol:

I am having husband :rant: issues with all this chlorine. I can't seem to make him understand that the chlorine is what is going to clear up our pool. Just in the last couple of hours I can see a difference. It is almost time to recheck the chlorine level and I am almost getting excited about it :lol: . I never thought I would get the chlorine up to shock level, but I did today and plan on keeping it there til I have sparkling clear water.

Yep the light finally clicked ON!!!

Here are my new numbers

FC was 11.5 added 1 gal bleach now 16
cc .5
pH 7.2
TA 125
CH 175

Next question....do I need to be concerned with the low pH right now or just concentrate on clearing up the pool water?

Can't test cya, reagents ordered, but not here yet.

Thanks,
Toni

Got up this morn and fc was 13.5. Added bleach to get back to 15. Has less debris on bottom and actually had to backwash last night. PSI got up to 20 from 12psi. Just checked it again it is up to 15 psi. Now, about how long does it take for the water to get sparkling? :? And do you know how hard it is to brush a pool with ONE hand?

Thanks again for all the help.
Toni

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Adding DE is most helpful when the water is already essentially clear. DE helps the filter catch the smallest particles. When first recovering from algae the water is full of large easy to filter particles, which come out of the water most quickly when the filter is clean (which means no DE).

Once you can see the bottom of the deep end, you might want to try adding DE. I am a big fan of adding DE for normal day to day use, but not for cleaning up algae.

Pool is now sparkling clean :-D . Put the solar cover on this past Sun. Just checked and the fc is 14 and cc is 0.5. My question is........do I now let the fc level go down to the recomended level of 2-5 ppm and keep there, and once there do the rest of the tests and treat accordingly? Mainly the pH, correct? Thanks for all your help. I didn't know if I would ever get it sparkling, but as you said earlier, shock, shock, shock, and POP! And lot's of POP!!! And with that advice I now have a clear pool.

Thanks again,
Toni

thill59 said:
Pool is now sparkling clean :-D . ...as you said earlier, shock, shock, shock, and POP! And lot's of POP!!! And with that advice I now have a clear pool.
Congratulations Toni :goodjob:

Now, as FPM has asked,
Did you do an overnight FC test? To know if you are "done" shocking?

As you've probably read, accurate measurement of PH when you are at shock levels doesn't supply reliable results. [one step at a time, lots of P.O.P....] 8)

I just want to give a BIG thanks to everyone here that helped me open my pool this year. This has been the best year for my pool since we got it 14 years ago. We never had a bit of trouble with it once I got it cleared up and it was sparkling clear all summer. We are now doing the shock before closing. Hopefully it will go as smooth or smoother then the opening as I now know how to shock it and keep it there. And hopefully when we open again next year the water will be as sparkling clear as when we close it. Again, I just want to say thanks to all the people that helped me and gave me advice! :wave:

On behalf of the members, "Thank You" for the "Thank You"! :-D

Congratulations on having a Trouble Free Pool this year :goodjob:

Hopefully your spring opening will be a breeze.

Remember we will be here all year long, so please pop in and see us when you can.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.