Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just opened pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Just opened pool

We uncovered our pool last weekend and the water was clear, just a little debris in the bottom. We brushed it, vacumed, then added 2 of the 174 oz. 6% bleach from Wal-Mart. Since then we have vacumed 3 times. Our pool is cloudy and there is what appears to be dead algae in the bottom. We are wondering if maybe our filter is not filtering out the debris and how to find out if it is our filter. We put new sand in last year and some how one of the pvc pipes that fits down into the center had worked out and we fixed that. Or could it be just our chemicals are out of whack and we need to adjust, super chlorinate, etc. Would appreciate any help. Here are my results as of 30 min. ago.

FC 0.5
    CC 0.5
    pH 7.2
    TA 130
    CH 200
    CYA 30
    Pool temp is around 58 F.
    We are wanting to put our solar cover on, but would like to get it crystal clear first. Any advice?
    17,500 gal, IG, vinyl liner, 16 x 32 rect., 19" Jacuzzi Sand Filter, 1 HP Jacuzzi Pump, located in South Arkansas

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Just opened pool

Hey,

You have two issues...

1. You do not have any chlorine in your pool. It has been consumed and needs to be replenished. I would put in (all at once) about 4.5 gallons of bleach to bring your FC up to around 15ppm. Then, you must keep replenishing the bleach constantly to keep it @ 15ppm until your water clears......running your pump 24/7 and backwashing as needed.

2. If your pressure in the system has increased by 30% or more, you need to backwash. Did you note the pressure before you started vacuuming? What is it now?
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

You should shock the pool, see Shocking Your Pool.

You will also need to vacuum up the stuff on the bottom.

It can take the pump/filter a couple of days to more than a week to clear up the water after the algae is all dead.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

My husband did the vacuming. I am getting ready to go out and vacume and will watch and see if the pressure raises and then will post. Like I said I just put about 4 gal. of bleach in, are you saying I need to put more and keep it that high til it clears?
    17,500 gal, IG, vinyl liner, 16 x 32 rect., 19" Jacuzzi Sand Filter, 1 HP Jacuzzi Pump, located in South Arkansas

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, shocking the pool means raising the FC level to shock level and keeping it there until either the pool clears up or the FC remains the same overnight.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Like I said I just put about 4 gal. of bleach in, are you saying I need to put more and keep it that high til it clears?
    Yes, that bleach has been consumed and you need to add more. Bleach (chlorine) is a consumable item in your pool and will start to deplete the instant you put it in. You have virtually none left to kill whatever is clouding your pool.

If you have not backwashed since beginning to vacuum, you need to do so. Do you know how to check your psi, backwash, rinse, recheck your pressure after complete?
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok, I just finished vacuming and the pump's psi never increased. It was reading about 12psi before and after. Of course I couldn't see the bottom of the deep end so who knows if I got much up from there. I will leave the pump running and retest tomorrow to see how much the values change and will try to keep the chlorine level up to 15 until it clears. Should I recheck in the morning or the same time I checked it this evening?

8. Back To Top    #8

When shocking you want to check and adjust the FC level at least twice a day.

9. Back To Top    #9

I have another question. I know you guys probably think I am just a stupid woman, but here goes. We are getting ready to get like 5 or 6 inches of rain. Am I just throwing my money away right now by putting all this bleach in? Is it not going to just get really diluted and never reach my goal of 15 ppm? Right now it is still only calculating about 1.5 and that is after putting 6 bottles of the 174 oz 6% bleach in last night. Have not put any in today.

10. Back To Top    #10

When you are shocking the pool, you need to do it whole heartedly. If you wait 24 hours between chlorine additions the algae just grows back, and it becomes very difficult to ever get ahead of it. If you follow the directions in the Pool School article on Shocking Your Pool, that I suggested previously, you will kill all the algae. If you are diligent about testing and adding chlorine frequently, you can be well on your way to recovery in only a day or two.

11. Back To Top    #11

SHOCK! SHOCK! SHOCK! It's the only way you're ever gonna see the bottom of your deep end. The rain will hurt nothing! I shock my pool in the rain if I have too and you can too!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by thill59
    I have another question. I know you guys probably think I am just a stupid woman, but here goes. We are getting ready to get like 5 or 6 inches of rain. Am I just throwing my money away right now by putting all this bleach in? Is it not going to just get really diluted and never reach my goal of 15 ppm? Right now it is still only calculating about 1.5 and that is after putting 6 bottles of the 174 oz 6% bleach in last night. Have not put any in today.

you are not a stupid woman....if you are, than so I am there are no dumb questions, thats how we all learn

Chris
    30-40yr old prehistoric IG gunite 20 X 40 approx 30000gals
    now with new cool blue Diamond Brite and blue waterline tile (looking good for 40yr old pool)
    new Hayward 244T sand filter, 3/4 Hayward pump, Jandy heat pump
    pool skim (love it)

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by chrisa
    Quote Originally Posted by thill59

you are not a stupid woman....if you are, than so I am there are no dumb questions, thats how we all learn

Chris
    Chris is absolutely correct! None of us are born knowing all this stuff and we have to learn it somewhere!
    Feel free to ask all your questions. That's what TFP is all about
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

14. Back To Top    #14

Well here I am again I cannot get my chlorine level up I have run our Wal-Mart out of bleach and even bought some super shock and to no luck. Level is only reading about 2ppm. Now what?

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    1. You do not have any chlorine in your pool. It has been consumed and needs to be replenished. I would put in (all at once) about 4.5 gallons of bleach to bring your FC up to around 15ppm. Then, you must keep replenishing the bleach constantly to keep it @ 15ppm until your water clears......running your pump 24/7 and backwashing as needed.
    Hi again,

Duraleigh's earlier advice still stands... you need to consistently add bleach to keep the FC at 15 until you water clears, running you pump 24/7.

So you'll need to find another source if Wal-mart is out.

When you add the bleach, it's best to do it in the evening, so that you yield the most benefits from the darkness, as the chlorine won't be destroyed by sunlight. So here's what I suggest. Shock the pool to 15 and then wait about an hour, test the FC again. If it's below 15, add more bleach to bring it to 15. Then in the morning test again, and compare the two results.

Shocking is a process, not a one-time event. Sometimes it can take several days to clear, shocking your pool all the while. If you are letting the FC drop in between, and the algae is not all dead, it will just grow back. You need to keep the FC up and Hold it there, until it holds overnight, then you know the algae is dead.

What is your CC reading?

Hope this helps.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

16. Back To Top    #16

Just to doublecheck, you are not using the solar cover, correct?
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

17. Back To Top    #17

Answer to question one...cc is 0.5. Answer to question number two....no we have not put the solar cover on. We are shocking during the evening hours. And I have put as much as 6 of the 174oz bottles of bleach in at one time. Do you think my reagents are bad? Just got the test kit last year in July and has been in kitchen cabinet. When should I test? As soon as it is put in or wait?

18. Back To Top    #18

There are two possibilities. By far the most likely is that you just need more chlorine. Also possible, but much less likely is that there is something wrong with either your test kit of your test technique and you are not getting the correct test results.

One thing you could try to verify your water testing, but only if you are on municipal water, would be to test your tap water. Nearly everywhere, municipal tap water has either FC or CC in it, typically at levels around 1 to 5.

19. Back To Top    #19

Here are my latest test results after 15 lbs of cal hypo

FC 2
    CC 7.5
    pH 7.2
    TA 125
    CH 250

WHY IS THE CC GOING UP AND NOT THE FC?

20. Back To Top    #20

Sorry for the error, it was only 5lbs of cal hypo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast