OIM

Oct 14, 2015
Pentas/TX
Hi everyone, I'm OIM and I'm building my own pool. I have been in commercial and residential construction for about 10yrs and have worked as a structural engineer for the past 4 years. Currently I am finishing up my Masters with a structural concentration. I've always wanted to learn about pools and this summer my family was in need of therapy performed in water. As insurance was getting pretty crazy, everyone in the family got together and we budgeted a new pool. It is a 40x20 with varying depths from 3 to 6 feet. We should be plastering on Friday, as the Quartzscapes arrives tomorrow, and couldn't yesterday as we were interrupted by a thunderstorm. I have read several threads here regarding plaster finishes and they have been very helpful. Yes, I will be plastering with my own crew :D. Recently I purchased some bags of diamondbrite (tahoe blue and blue) and set some samples down for Mom to choose. She was pleased with blue and we were ready to get to work on it. Unfortunately, there is no material in stock and won't arrive till next week. I really do not want to wait for next week to plaster and since I'm crazy about new experiences I am moving forward with quartzscapes. I am very disappointed by the fact that quartzscapes has no data sheet for application and specifications, but SCP assures me it is applied the same way as Diamonbrite and simply has a different mixing process. I am very excited! Any suggestions are appreciated. I look forward to posting some pictures soon.

Hi OIM, and Welcome to TFP, :wave:

Wow, it sounds like you've got a lot going on. Congrats on your new pool build, and we are looking forward to seeing those pics too. We love pics. :)

I'm sorry I can't offer you any info on the differences in the materials, but I'm sure others will be along shortly who can.

I can, however, recommend that that when you get ready to start testing the waters in your beautiful new pool that you use either the TF-100 or the Taylor K-2006 to do so. ( Both are available at http://tftestkits.net/Test-Kits-c4/ )
The Taylor K-2006 is also available at several other places online, and some of your local pool stores may also sell them too. Getting one of those 2 test kits will be the single best investment you can make for properly testing, and balancing your pool.

Congrats again on your pool build. I know you all must be so excited. :whoot: Again welcome to TFP, and have a wonderful night. :)

Thanks for replies. I am not gonna lie here. I put my little brother in charge of the water chemistry part. :) , But I will definitely check those kits. Looking forward to sharing the process. I will say I wish I was adding a fountain or spa beside the pool, but I lost when i brought it up to votes. :-( The pump I got is a Full rated for the purpose of hopefully running a cascade or something in the near future, I'd really have to do some more calcs but I have a good feeling about it.

http://i1377.photobucket.com/albums...oads/20150925_141139_zpswalmh1no.jpg~original

http://s1377.photobucket.com/user/oimengineering/library/20x40 Rectangular 24000 Gal

It's already looking beautiful, and you're doing an excellent job. I'm excited to see what the next phase brings.

As far as a fountain if you can't get the vote to add one permanently, here's a little add on fountain that hooks to your return that's inexpensive, and has really good reviews that you might want to check into. I ordered one for my pool just yesterday, so I can't personally say how well it works, but according to the reviews the only issue is the hose that comes with it leaves a lot to be desired, but replacing that with a clear polyvinyl hose seems to solve that issue. http://www.poolproducts.com/SPP/productr.asp?pf_id=A5500

Keep up the great job, and have a wonderful day. :)

That is some fancy coping you have going on there! NICE!

More pics please! LOL

Kim

Well, There were a couple things I actually didn't like about the coping. For starters was the stamping. That was really a last minute thing because we had a lot of stuff shelved in storage and it was the perfect opportunity to use some of it. I wanted to use a coping form from SCP, but there wasn't a line item for it and it would not have added up in the end. Annnnd I would have been in trouble. LOL. Another thing was, that I wasn't comfortable stamping because of the 1.5" cantilevered edge. I was in fear of considerable cracking. This especially because I wasn't using a big crew and concrete was hardening pretty quick. We have some cracks, obviously not visible to simple view, but it wasn't as bad as I thought. Also, I didn't like the idea of just edging the ends to create a radius end. I was ok with a chamfer on the bottom side of the coping, but the edge on top that was used can be improved. After form was removed on the inside of the pool I had them sand and chip off excess and I will be adding a sealer to it. The deck already has two coats of sealer on it, but you really can't tell much due to lack of clean up. The pool was poured with forms, not by shotcrete. I had the forms from a previous job, and we have done it over and over again, so I went ahead and took that approach with a 6" waterstop at every construction joint as well as an expansion joint that I added at the center of the pool. What do you all think of the expansion joint? I've been criticized for it and whole lot!! LOL. But honestly I feel good about it. I don't have any cracks in the pool floor and that's what I wanted. The walls is a different story, but I've taken the proper precautions for it. After all I won't be able to plaster until Monday because even Quartzscapes was not all in stock for the coverage I needed. Bummer, but now I have no choice :-( I look forward to posting some more pictures after plastering.

http://i1377.photobucket.com/albums/ah69/oimengineering/Mobile%20Uploads/20150923_144054_zpsa7vvx7be.jpg~original

http://i1377.photobucket.com/albums/ah69/oimengineering/Mobile%20Uploads/20150920_160737_zps1x5zbgo7.jpg~original

20151017_202832_zpspgxbxipc.jpg
[/URL]

So electrical is up and running , tried the pool light for a couple seconds only and they lit nicely. Should be plastering monday and confirming connections on equipment. I hope the tile shines a little more with water. I thought it would come out some more :-/

Just you wait! when you get the plaster in and water in and balanced! It will SHINE! Then with sun on it! POP!

Do you have a test kit yet? If not look in my siggy for the test kits we use and love. You are SO DIY I KNOW you will not allow the pool store to mess up your pool!

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just you wait! when you get the plaster in and water in and balanced! It will SHINE! Then with sun on it! POP!

Do you have a test kit yet? If not look in my siggy for the test kits we use and love. You are SO DIY I KNOW you will not allow the pool store to mess up your pool!

Kim

I have ordered the K2006. :) thanks for the comments. Forecast still is very favorable tomorrow and im anxious to get it done! I figure i start filling monday night and have it balanced by Saturday. I might even call the Fire department for some water instead of waiting :-D

I am going to post some of the links I like to share with people just starting their pools. If you have already seen them just ignore them if not............read and enjoy!

Pool School - Start-up New Plaster

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Pool School - Recommended Levels

For this one play around with it. It will do all of the work for you! Make sure to change it to Trouble Free Pools at the bottom.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Have fun reading! Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have!

Kim

Well, its fillin up! :-/. Im gonna be honest. I have never felt this pool was TOO big until tonight. lol. But It kicked in tonight. Anyway, I wasn't happy with the plaster work. I used my crew and 4 experienced guys for a total of 9 people working together. The "plasters" were plastering and one of my guys, and I had the rest of my crew feeding the pool constantly. In the end while i didn't consider it to be a horrible job I wasn't impressed and I definitely felt my guys could have done just as well. We applied quartzscapes and they refused to use rags while the plaster was setting. They did hard trowel and brush, but they acid washed fairly quickly and while it helped I think it should have been better. All aside I paid the crew fully and thanked them for coming. What I was very surprised about is that the color of the water definitely looks green. With and with out the pool lights on. I sure hope this changes. We really did want blue and the quartzscapes sample showed a light blue. The entire family came to see it start filling and Mom was very excited so that made us all happy. Thanks for all the recommendations and links! Very very helpful and most of all its great to come here and chat about our pool build. Here is a picture and I look forward to posting some more later.

So I go out to check the water level and something happened. I realized a sound when the AC turned off and YES it was the pump running empty. I run to turn off timer and learn the timer was set to 6pm to 2am. All this time I thought the electrician had left the breaker off and he hadn't. It is totally my fault for not double checking but it just didn't occur to me that he WOULDN'T leave it off. Why would he leave it on as I had told him several times to not even test it by turning it on. I directed him to just check current at the pump. I'm sure I'm gonna have to pay for this. At the very least, even though I'm praying, I'll be ordering some parts for it. Its been a few days since he connected it so there is no reason not to be doomed. Its a Pentair Whisperflow High Performance Standard Efficiency Single Speed 2HP, 230Volt 1 PHase. Wish me luck.....There always something......

- - - Updated - - -

Congrats on filling! Tap water is surprisingly green, it will clear up in a few days.

Thanks! That is gonna be nice if it does clear up....

Do you have a test kit yet?

I would go ahead and start adding the CYA. Use pool math to see how much to add for your size pool. Shoot for a little on the low side as it is much easier to add than to remove.

I hope your pump lived :( I wish people would listen and think about things.

If the pump is gone you can use a straw broom and pool brush to mix the bleach in.

I can't wait to see it in the daylight!

Kim

Do you have a test kit yet?

I would go ahead and start adding the CYA. Use pool math to see how much to add for your size pool. Shoot for a little on the low side as it is much easier to add than to remove.

I hope your pump lived :( I wish people would listen and think about things.

If the pump is gone you can use a straw broom and pool brush to mix the bleach in.

I can't wait to see it in the daylight!

Kim

So my brother says we are going with a trichlor approach. Im not getting into the chems yet since he want's to hold the reigns on that, but I just might since he's telling me we must wait 7 to 10 days to get in. I was looking forward to a fancy Saturday!! :-( I will certainly keep posting and im picking up the K2006 kit in a few minutes. My pool supplier claimed he only had the 2005 version and I said, "uhhhh no, kimkats didn't mention that one." :cool:
But really I'd rather drive to Leslies and get it there. I need some muriatic acid anyway for the plaster.

Thanks for the help!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support