Pool pump replacement, what HP do I need?

Oct 14, 2015
Spring, TX
Im looking to replace my pool pump with a new one. The pool does have an elevated spa and 3 little water falls on the side as pictured. All the pool equipment(pumps/heaters) are about 6-8 feet away from the pool. Now i have to replace the main pump since the bearings are going out, but it seems like the pump i currently have is overpowered. I have a 2hp pump and the pool is about 4.5-5ft deep throughout the pool, i'm positive its a less than 10000 gallons. Is this correct? If i have to stay with a 2hp pump ill get a variable speed to reduce cost but seems like i can get a 1.5hp or 1hp and be just fine. It does have a polaris cleaner pump motor as well that I need to replace, but thats more of a direct replacement. Should i stay with 2hp or can i got to 1.5? I've attached some pictures of the pool.

IMG_1471.jpgIS9t4c2qfmohld1000000000.jpgIStg0o1d768nld1000000000.jpg

Re: Pool pump replacement, what HP

My Jandy VS 1.5 hp pump uses 60w to run at a low setting. This RPM might not be enough to send water to falls but you can always ramp it up when you need it to look good. Also in my area the electric co was offering a $400 rebate for new VS installs so check with them. I was the installer for another person and they also gave me $100 rebate for the install. I primarily work on Jandy but there are many out there. Jandy warranty is 3 years on the VS pumps

Re: Pool pump replacement, what HP

Yeah and the falls are for show only, so they will not run most of the time. And the falls do have their own motor. Now maybe a good solution would be to remove that motor and have the main pump push the falls as well??

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.