Commerical pool in a Residence. Go big or Go Home, we are in TX!

Oct 14, 2015
Austin,TX
Hi,
We are building our first pool. This has been a labor of love in design for me for over 2.5 years. I do interior design work and have the opportunity to do our own backyard oasis and am so happy we have started. :D

I started with just a sketch on paper before we even closed on our home.
This sketch we took to a few builders here to get quotes on. Then we knew how expensive my little sketch cost.
So take us to 2 years later to save up and finally be ready to start this process again, we again interviewed a bunch of builders and decided on one.
When we chose TPP ( shortened) everything was great up until after we signed the contract. And then it took them a month to file for permits, a month to pay for permits, and then they came out after they took our first deposit and told us they wouldn't warranty the spa equipment I purchased from Germany. (They gave me the ok prior to purchase with no issues) Anywho....I want to focus on the positive.
So now I am have teamed up with Aquatica, Mike McIntyre is a Design Architect RLA ASLA whose work includes the current under construction Vans skatepark in Boston, US Olympic Skate park, and has worked with Tony Hawk, and Rob Dyrdek; Discovery Channels Monster Garage, and currently now my monstrosity. As well as world renowned pool designer Skip Phillips who was also overseeing the project to ensure its perfection.
So now I have a great team behind me....now it off and running...or swimming.
Here is the photobucket link

40K Gallons, IG, Pebble Sheen Ocean Blue with Shimmering Seashells, NPT Tile 1x2 Artic Lagoon, Paramount Infloor cleaner, 5- Pentair Intelliflow VS-3050 pumps 2- Pentair Whisperflow 1.5 pumps; HEATER: Pentair Master temp 400 btu LP LOW NOX, Filter: Pentair clean and clear 520 Cartridge; CLORINATOR: Auto Feed Pentair Model 320; SANTITATION: Paramount Ultra UV Lamp 230V; Ozone Oxidation Paramount Clear 03; Pentair Intellibrite Color LEDS; COLORCASCADE 8 color LED bubbler (6); Pentair Screen logic; HYDROTHERAPY SPA equipment is from FITSTAR Hugo Lahme in Germany. It consists of one air bubbler pad, a gush shower, and a water cannon. There are also 6 hydroptheraphy jets from Waterways.
Pool started construction on 8/12/15
Auto filler; City Water.

It's best to upload the photos to a photo sharing website or cloud drive service and link them in the post using the picture icon rather than directly attaching them to the forum post. Junior members get very limited storage space and even long time members tend to link photos.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Welcome to TFP We are very glad you are here. :wave:

I see you have a puckinator listed. You'll want to remove all the pucks from it as soon as your CYA gets up to 40 or so. Then switch to bleach or liquid chlorine. I also, see a UV unit. Is that dedicated to the spa area? If not, you really don't need it. It provides little sanitation and will cause your chlorine demand to increase. I also, see you have an ozone generator. Is that dedicated to the spa area? If not, you really don't need it.

There will be more folks along to provide more details about these things.

Thank you I opened up an account and downloaded the link to my above post thanks!
10835166_10206377191528561_3775416915521287670_o_zpsb8ls7ioc.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Yes so Pool suite is very limited as to what they can do, so they wanted to show the approximation of the gush shower and the water cannon on the back wall. The spa has now been sunk into the pool as well.

Welcome to TFP We are very glad you are here. :wave:

I see you have a puckinator listed. You'll want to remove all the pucks from it as soon as your CYA gets up to 40 or so. Then switch to bleach or liquid chlorine. I also, see a UV unit. Is that dedicated to the spa area? If not, you really don't need it. It provides little sanitation and will cause your chlorine demand to increase. I also, see you have an ozone generator. Is that dedicated to the spa area? If not, you really don't need it.
There will be more folks along to provide more details about these things.

Hi. I will share this info with Mike and ask him. I am glad there are people out there that know what the heck they are talking about, newbie and THANK YOU for the advice. Any advice is welcomed.
:goodpost:

I agree with Bob (pabeader). Unless your pool/spa are tucked-up so far under cover that they don't receive adequate sunlight, the sun is all the UV you need for oxidation - especially here in our area. :sun: The chlorinator may seem like a stress-free way to manage a pool ( I used to think so) until we learn after using pucks for just one season that the stabilizer content from each puck builds-up our CYA level so high that it requires a heavy water exchange to lower the CYA. They don't tell you those things at your friendly, local pool store. :)

- - - Updated - - -

You might also like to read this post: Bromine vs UV Lamp: Better than Chlorine..?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Welcome to TFP :wave:

Am I reading your signature correctly, do your have five (5) IntelliFlo pumps (3HP) and two (2) WhisperFlo (1.5 HP) pumps :shock: :shock: :shock: ???

You certainly have a beautiful pool design but why would you need seven pumps ???

And yes, I agree with the others above - the inline chlorinator is a bad idea as it will cause a build-up of stabilizer unless you plan to do lots of water exchanges (drains & refills) every season. As well, the UV/Ozone systems for residential pools are ineffectual at best. You can certainly go ahead and ask your designer, Mr. McIntyre, about what we suggest but I can almost guarantee you that he will respond with the following statement, "Oh never mind what those yabow's on the 'inter-webs' say...who ya gonna trust? Me or bunch of slack-jawed, mouth-breathers sitting behind their computers all day??"

I know you're in the pool build phase right now and water chemistry is the furthest thing from your mind, but I can tell you without reservation that water chemistry is the single, most important factor in pool ownership. You want to get it right up-front so that you're not stuck with sub-standard systems later. The best way to discuss this with your builder/designer is to educate yourself by reading PoolSchool and searching TFP for things like "inline chlorinator", "high CYA", "alternative sanitizers" and "UV/Ozone". Then you will know what we all know and be better prepared to refute the nonsense that many PBs out there push on people building pools.

I'm sorry if I sound a bit harsh, but don't get too drawn in by this guys "credentials" and all the "spectacular" things he's built. That's great that he has such wonderful experience, but this is your pool and your money, therefore you want to do what's in your self-interest and not what is necessarily his preference. He should be designing and building what YOU want, not what he prefers.

Good luck!!

Matt

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.