Covered the pool the other day

danpik

TFP Guide
Jun 4, 2012
western NY
Sad day again this year, Water and air is just too cold now plus with the leaves that are falling the daily cleaning would be a chore.

Aquadoor on the skimmer. Plug also in the return.

Barrel floated into the middle and tied off. You can see how many leaves are falling now. This is about 10 min of leaf fall. Will have to skim again.

cover on. I also stretched a leaf net over the cover and have it pulled tight so the leaves will not be in the water and will blow off.

How do you like that snap on Aquadoor? Does it leak at all?

I use a plate on my skimmer. You remove half the screws, put the plate on, and then replace the screws. It works great, but it is a bit of a pain at opening and closing. Also, I hate the idea of dropping in a screw, because that is something you have to go in and get, not drag it up with a leaf net.

-dave

The aquadoor comes with a special opening that replaces the screw plate the Haywards come with. (the frame inside the pool) It has a lip on it that the cover snaps over similar to a Tupperware lid. Sometimes I see a bit of seepage but, the pool never looses the water level over the course of the winter. This one is going on 13-14 years and in the spring I simply remove it after the pump is connected and start the pump

My brother n dad use that system n always lose water. Why, I don't know... maybe it's them but I always drain. I've had my pool closed since September n I miss it already! Let's hope the winter goes fast!

You have to get the door on all the way. Mine used to leak until this year I tapped on the rim of where the door locks over the face plate with the back end of a screwdriver under water. I would always have a little seepage. This year, really tight and I keep checking and have not had any water passing yet this year.

I go back and forth about keeping the plate I have, going with that snap on, or going with the skimmer plug type closure.

The plate I have is a bit of a pain, but it is an steel plate, with a foam backing. No worries about it popping off or leaking. Now my return plug, that's a different issue - that did come out one year.

-dave

I go back and forth about keeping the plate I have, going with that snap on, or going with the skimmer plug type closure.

The plate I have is a bit of a pain, but it is an steel plate, with a foam backing. No worries about it popping off or leaking. Now my return plug, that's a different issue - that did come out one year.

-dave

Dan---Great idea with the barrel :)

We used the screw plate for the first time this year, holding tight---no leaks. I totally agree with Dave, I was terrified I would drop a screw---Water was 58 degrees. Yes, it was a PITA (my neighbor has the aquadoor version and was done in 2 minutes) but I like the piece of mind of the screws (and I don't have an aquadoor skimmer plate).

Dave, what happened to your return plug? Was it the one screwed in with an o-ring. Just curious on your experience as a return plug out would be A LOT of water in our yard.

Dan---Great idea with the barrel :)

We used the screw plate for the first time this year, holding tight---no leaks. I totally agree with Dave, I was terrified I would drop a screw---Water was 58 degrees. Yes, it was a PITA (my neighbor has the aquadoor version and was done in 2 minutes) but I like the piece of mind of the screws (and I don't have an aquadoor skimmer plate).

Dave, what happened to your return plug? Was it the one screwed in with an o-ring. Just curious on your experience as a return plug out would be A LOT of water in our yard.

I have an Agualuminator in my return - it's a light. It does not use a normal threaded fitting, the fitting is smooth on the inside, so I cannot use a threaded plug on the return. I have to use a rubber stopper. It's like a big rubber cork with a compression bolt in it, that you tighten with a wing nut. You put the plug in and crank down the wing nut until it is tight. Last year my pool froze deep enough that it froze around the wing nut. the ice shifted and pulled the plug out. I could actually look down the edge of the pool and see the plug embedded in the ice.

-dave

I have an Agualuminator in my return - it's a light. It does not use a normal threaded fitting, the fitting is smooth on the inside, so I cannot use a threaded plug on the return. I have to use a rubber stopper. It's like a big rubber cork with a compression bolt in it, that you tighten with a wing nut. You put the plug in and crank down the wing nut until it is tight. Last year my pool froze deep enough that it froze around the wing nut. the ice shifted and pulled the plug out. I could actually look down the edge of the pool and see the plug embedded in the ice.

-dave

ahhh. Ice is some pretty powerful stuff. I am going into my second winter with the pool and remember the paranoia/anxiety last winter (attached).

Attachments

• midwinter.jpg
    midwinter.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 46

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.