New home, need help identifying pool setup

Oct 13, 2015
Orlando
Hi guys, first time posting here. My wife and I just bought s new home with a pool in it. I've never owned one so this is a steep learning curve for me. I have a question since the house we bought is older(80's) and I am unsure what system I have. I'm mainly curious to the two valves I have, the grey and the black and what they control. Any help would be great image.jpgimage.jpg

Hi Meeks,
Welcome to TFP.

Not sure, but that black thing with several pipes coming out of it looks like you have a infloor cleaning system?
Do you have fittings around the bottom of the pool?

If you do. Then to use the cleaning sytem, close the gray valve and open the black one. The cleaning heads in bottom of the pool should pop up.

When not using the cleaning system, close the black valve and open the grey one.
The pipe with the gray valve on it sends water to the pool through the retuns in the side walls.

The filter you have is a single cartridge filter. A small one. To clean it, take the top half off of the filter body and take out teh filter and spray it down good with a water hose. After you have cleaned the filter real well, note the pressure on the gauge. When that pressure rises by 25%, then it will be time to clean the filter again.

The pump is a Hayward pump.

The round white thing with the top that looks like a castle wall, is a inline chlorinator. The purpose of it is to fill it with chlorine pucks and as water passes through it, chlorine is taken to the pool. The bad thing about that, is the pucks have stabilizer in them and too much stabilizer in your pool can lead to bad problems.

here at TFP do not recommend using chlorine tabs for primary source of chlorine. Liquid chlorine (a.k.a. bleach), is a much better chlorine source and doesnt add additional stabilizer to the pool.

As a note, there is a rubber gasket between the top and bottom half of your filter and a rubber O ring on the pump lid.
Anytime you remove the filter top or the pump lid, you will need to lubricate those rubber items.
Use only either Silocone or teflon based lubricants to lubricate those rubber parts with. A petroleum based lube, such as Vaseline will ruin the gasket and o ring.

Hope this helps get you started on the equipment.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Meeks,
Welcome to TFP.

Not sure, but that black thing with several pipes coming out of it looks like you have a infloor cleaning system?
Do you have fittings around the bottom of the pool?

If you do. Then to use the cleaning sytem, close the gray valve and open the black one. The cleaning heads in bottom of the pool should pop up.

When not using the cleaning system, close the black valve and open the grey one.
The pipe with the gray valve on it sends water to the pool through the retuns in the side walls.

The filter you have is a single cartridge filter. A small one. To clean it, take the top half off of the filter body and take out teh filter and spray it down good with a water hose. After you have cleaned the filter real well, note the pressure on the gauge. When that pressure rises by 25%, then it will be time to clean the filter again.

You may want to consider upgrading your filter to a bigger one. When it comes to filters, the bigger the better because you dont have to clean them as often.

The pump is a Hayward pump.

The round white thing with the top that looks like a castle wall, is a inline chlorinator. The purpose of it is to fill it with chlorine pucks and as water passes through it, chlorine is taken to the pool. The bad thing about that, is the pucks have stabilizer in them and too much stabilizer in your pool can lead to bad problems.

here at TFP do not recommend using chlorine tabs for primary source of chlorine. Liquid chlorine (a.k.a. bleach), is a much better chlorine source and doesnt add additional stabilizer to the pool.

As a note, there is a rubber gasket between the top and bottom half of your filter and a rubber O ring on the pump lid.
Anytime you remove the filter top or the pump lid, you will need to lubricate those rubber items.
Use only either Silocone or teflon based lubricants to lubricate those rubber parts with. A petroleum based lube, such as Vaseline will ruin the gasket and o ring.

Hope this helps get you started on the equipment.

Welcome to TFP! Congrats on the new pool!

Yep, that is an infloor cleaning system on the left. The gray valve is open to the infloor and the pool returns right now. Point the handle to the left to run the infloor only and toward the house to run the pool returns only. Not sure what the black valve is, it is open now, point handle either up or down to close. Maybe it runs a pressure side cleaner? Which doesn't make much sense with an infloor cleaaning system. But, that would be my guess if you didn't have one.

Awesome, thank you guys so much! Another question, my pump seems to be losing its prime and I have this pipe that sticks out of the ground with these cuts in it. About every 4 mins the system will make a gurgling sound and suck air in through this pipe. Is this normal or should I cut below a few inches and cap it so its sealed? image.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.