Removing Pool Pump from "Hard Plumbed" setup

Goearr

Oct 13, 2015
Hollywood, MD
I'm new to these forums so any help is greatly appreciated. First time closing my pool by myself and I'd like to disconnect my DE filter and my pump and store it inside for the winter. The problem I have is that the pump was "hard plumbed" without any disconnects. I'm thinking about cutting the 2" pvc near the pool pump, store it, and use the 2" flexible PVC couplings, available at hardware stores, to reassemble in the spring.
Something like this available from Lowes? http://www.lowes.com/pd_23462-34146-RNH50___?productId=1065483&pl=1&Ntt=2"+coupling
Do you see anything wrong with my approach? Thanks for your advice!

I'm not sure what size PVC is running from your equipment pad but you should install a proper union rather than a leaky hose fitting like that. This is what you need if it's 1.5" PVC: http://www.lowes.com/pd_188223-6930...?productId=50160561&Ns=p_product_price|1&pl=1 Should have one on the inlet and outlet side of the pump a few inches away from the couplings to the pump.

I leave my pump outside all winter, fully drained and blown out with plugs removed, but have unions installed should I need to service or replace the pump. My sand filter also stays out all winter, drained, plug open.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

What kind of pump do you have? Most pumps will have 1.5" or 2" STRAIGHT threads and thus take a union also with STRAIGHT threads (most ideal situation). A union pack like this one, with an outer o-ring (indicating it is STRAIGHT threaded and not tapered), is ideal.

Thanks for your advice guys!!... to answer some of the questions, my piping is 2" and I have a Pentair variable speed pool pump but it appears that the pool installer permanently glued a 2" to 1.5" reducer to the pump inlet/outlet. Per your suggestions, I'll use a PVC union instead... just have to figure out if I have enough room to splice it in :)

Thanks for your advice guys!!... to answer some of the questions, my piping is 2" and I have a Pentair variable speed pool pump but it appears that the pool installer permanently glued a 2" to 1.5" reducer to the pump inlet/outlet. Per your suggestions, I'll use a PVC union instead... just have to figure out if I have enough room to splice it in :)
FYI, my layout...

20150530_114219_cut.jpg

Cut the pipe where you've indicated and unscrew the fittings threaded into the pump body and add the unions like what I linked to and you'll be all set.

You'll likely need a coupler and some extra 2" pipe and another elbow. Or at least that is how I would do it. I can almost guarantee you that your PB installed male adapters into your pump and those will be typical tapered threads. In fact, most folks do it this way despite the fact that the pump threads are straight. You can make a seal and they will thread fine but in some cases one can get a leak. It is better to use straight threaded unions (and not pipe nipples or male adapters) in this case.

You can, of course, cut the pipe and put in regular old PVC (slip fit) unions if you want...I just wouldn't do it that way.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: Removing Pool Pump from "Hard Plumbed" setup

Cut the pipe where you've indicated and unscrew the fittings threaded into the pump body and add the unions like what I linked to and you'll be all set.

You'll likely need a coupler and some extra 2" pipe and another elbow. Or at least that is how I would do it. I can almost guarantee you that your PB installed male adapters into your pump and those will be typical tapered threads. In fact, most folks do it this way despite the fact that the pump threads are straight. You can make a seal and they will thread fine but in some cases one can get a leak. It is better to use straight threaded unions (and not pipe nipples or male adapters) in this case.

You can, of course, cut the pipe and put in regular old PVC (slip fit) unions if you want...I just wouldn't do it that way.

That would definitely be the "proper" way to do it... as in using something like #6 from the third post, an outside threaded union. I'll have to see what the PB actually did once I cut the line and try to thread the coupling out of the pump. I believe the pump thread is 1.5" so I'll have to find a 1.5" outside threaded union with a 2" non-threaded pvc adapter on the other end. If it becomes too much, I'll just splice a 2" union (#7 in post 3) close to the pump inlet/outlet. Thanks again...

- - - Updated - - -

considering all the crazy 45/90/45 back the other way type PVC runs I've seen posted on here lately, that's a pretty clean setup. Who knows what it looks like underground though...

Thank you... I was there the entire time so I know that the pipes go down about 6' to a 90 which are then connected to flexible 2" pvc lines. That's pretty much the only thing they did a "decent" job on... the pool is another story!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.