Science Project - Lots of Wildlife Inside Old Pool!

Oct 13, 2015
Highland, MI
Hello! I am just learning how to "speak pool"...

We bought a home over the summer with an in-ground, gunite pool that has not been opened by the previous owners for at least 3 years (maybe more).
In addition to water and algae, there are leaves, plastic bags, turtles, water bugs and plenty of tadpoles inside....it's about 1/2 full of water at this point of the year.
It has not been covered for about a year since the cover was ruined.

The pool will be completely refinished in the Spring - new plaster, tile and coping. Winter is coming and I want to prep the pool before the deep freeze (located in Michigan.)

Question 1: How do I best remove the wildlife inside? I realize I can't save all the animals, but I'd like to at least get the turtles out. (They hide out under the leaves at the bottom.)

Question 2: I've been told to shock it with 10 gallons of bleach before Winter. Do you agree? Should I cover it or leave it as-is since it will be redone come Spring?

Thank you in advance!

Hi Duck,
The only way to remove the wildlife, is to use a leaf rake. (big leaf net). Scoop out all you can is about all you can do.

With the pool in the shape its currently in, it will do no good to add any chlorine.
If it were me, I would cover it so that it doesnt fill up with leaves which will just have to be scooped back out.

Here is the type leaf rake Divin Dave is suggestingleaf net. jpg.jpg Don't skimp. You are going to need a heavy duty one....the best. Get a Walmart or a Kmart and it will break and you will have wasted your money.

You are undertaking a big job and you will need HD equipment.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.