Abandoned return?

Sep 11, 2015
Orlando, FL
I've got this in my pool wall... I'm assuming it is a return that got clogged? It was left that way after a replaster right before I moved in. I have no leaks, and there is no water movement from that pipe.

Two questions:
- Is it worth getting a cheap USB camera and seeing what's in that pipe?
- I've got 3 other returns (green checks). The only circulation problems I seem to have are stuff not moving to the skimmer from the deep end, and stuff gathering on the bottom about a foot from the main drain. Should I have 4 returns in a pool this size, or is 3 enough?

7d5bfeeb347fa63cba9304c7bd91eabd.jpg

4527f5a22ea4ad357fc4c78aa677fe47.jpg

Interesting. I only have a single jandy valve, between the skimmer and main drain. But I DO have a stub of a pipe sticking up near those pipes that is capped. I wonder if that was originally a vacuum line.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Interesting. I only have a single jandy valve, between the skimmer and main drain. But I DO have a stub of a pipe sticking up near those pipes that is capped. I wonder if that was originally a vacuum line.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Yep, it's intended for a pressure side cleaner (could also be used as a vacuum port). This was a fairly common practice not long ago.

Well, right now with no plug it is an area of little to no circulation. This could become a breeding location for algae. I see it you have two choices:

1. Get a threaded plug for about $3 at lowes and plug the pool end of the pipe.

2. Tie that pipe in with the other returns back at the equipment pad and put an eye on the threaded end. Probably less than $25 in parts.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.