Help on air blower's fitting and adaptors

Did you already purchase this? It is less expensive on line at other places.

Although, looking at the combination on Amazon, it appears that everything is there that you need from the hose to the skimmer. In the description it is for the Hayward Dyna-Skim automatic skimmer model SP1091LX. The male adapter has to thread and fit in the skimmer and also adapt to the 1.5" hose.

Please see thread on what I did:

Modified Cover for Hayward Super Pump for Closing Swimming Pool

The Cyclone is a beast! No other words to describe it. If you could post some pictures of your equipment pad and piping, this would help us put you in the right direction. You will need a 1.5" hose (see post as it has everything that I needed). If you can adapt to the pump as I did, or possibly work through the unions. If there are unions, you will have to take them apart and push air through the system. The last resort, which many people do is through the skimmer. You will need to thread in an adapter to the skimmer basket and push air back to the equipment pad and through the plumbing. The setting on the multi-port should be on "recirculate". Then when done, you can winterize the filter.

Essentially, the cyclone is moving a large volume of air through the system and you are removing the water out of the skimmers and return jets. The main drain will bubble for about 45-60 seconds and then you close off the valve and create an "air lock". Systems are not all the same and it is important to determine how your pool and pluming is set up.

How many skimmer(s), return jets, main drains, and valves (and what do they control) is always helpful.

I want to close my pool myself. I just bought a pool blower: Cyclone Vacuum and Blower - 3 HP - Vacuum And Dust Collector Accessories - Amazon.com

Could anyone tell me how to connect it to the pool pipe. I want to connect it to the pump house inlet. Is this right? Which hose/fittings/adaptor should I buy or make to blow the water out of pipe?

Thanks.

--Yang

That cyclone is a BEAST,,, I threaded 1.5 inch pvc fitting (the cyclone has 1.5 inch female threads),, a short piece of 1.5 inch pvc to a 1.5>2 inch adapter,, then connected that to my skimmer/main drain line,, blew out the skimmers & main drains. Then connected to the return side and blew out the 3 return lines.

I repeat, that cyclone is a BEAST

That cyclone is a BEAST,,, I threaded 1.5 inch pvc fitting (the cyclone has 1.5 inch female threads),, a short piece of 1.5 inch pvc to a 1.5>2 inch adapter,, then connected that to my skimmer/main drain line,, blew out the skimmers & main drains. Then connected to the return side and blew out the 3 return lines. I repeat, that cyclone is a BEAST

Did you hard pipe from the Cyclone with 90 degree elbows down to the skimmers? Just curious. I had a 6 ' flexible hose with a modified cover at the pump. Quick and Easy. Watched the PB do it the first time and that was the last.

Did you hard pipe from the Cyclone with 90 degree elbows down to the skimmers? Just curious. I had a 6 ' flexible hose with a modified cover at the pump. Quick and Easy. Watched the PB do it the first time and that was the last.

I have 2" flex pvc coming into the pump inlet with a 2" threaded union.
I put a scrap piece of 2" flex hose on the 2<1.5" adapter, which the 1.5" went into the cylcone. So I was able to blow both out the skimmer & main drain from that connection, then connect it to the pump intake and blow out the equipment and return lines.
Seemed to work well, I will find out next spring.

This looks easy to make. Where did you get the 2" flex hose? I have bought 5 feet flex pvc pipe from Lowes:

Shop Samar 1-3/4-in x 1-ft PVC Spa Flex Hose at Lowes.com

It is very hard and cannot be bent into the pump intake. By the way, your signature says " 2" plumbing ultra-flex PVC", what's that for? Is its OD 2", otherwise how to connect it to pump intake?

Thank you very much.

I have 2" flex pvc coming into the pump inlet with a 2" threaded union.
I put a scrap piece of 2" flex hose on the 2<1.5" adapter, which the 1.5" went into the cylcone. So I was able to blow both out the skimmer & main drain from that connection, then connect it to the pump intake and blow out the equipment and return lines.
Seemed to work well, I will find out next spring.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, I bought it about a month ago from amazon, it was about $100 less. Thanks for the tips.

I did a test run in the weekend, it IS powerful.

Did you already purchase this? It is less expensive on line at other places.

Although, looking at the combination on Amazon, it appears that everything is there that you need from the hose to the skimmer. In the description it is for the Hayward Dyna-Skim automatic skimmer model SP1091LX. The male adapter has to thread and fit in the skimmer and also adapt to the 1.5" hose.

This looks easy to make. Where did you get the 2" flex hose? I have bought 5 feet flex pvc pipe from Lowes:

Shop Samar 1-3/4-in x 1-ft PVC Spa Flex Hose at Lowes.com

It is very hard and cannot be bent into the pump intake. By the way, your signature says " 2" plumbing ultra-flex PVC", what's that for? Is its OD 2", otherwise how to connect it to pump intake?

Thank you very much.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, I bought it about a month ago from amazon, it was about $100 less. Thanks for the tips.

I did a test run in the weekend, it IS powerful.

Yes, when I ran the pool plumbing I used the 2" ultra flex PVC (off Amazon for about $2 per foot). I had a few pieces left over, 3 or 4 feet. It makes it much easier to connect the cyclone to the pool plumbing because you don't have to be straight on. I think maybe you buy this at some plumbing supply houses,, but just as easy you could plumb the ridgid 2" pvc and do a 90',, you don't even have to glue it, dry fittings should hold just while blowing.
So coming out of your cyclone would be a 1.5" male thread, with a short 1.5" piece of pipe, to a 1.5" > 2" adapter,, a short piece of 2", a 90' then a short piece of 2" to either side of your pump (assuming you have a union on both sides). Probably like $20 in pvc stuff from lowes.

Last edited:
I would never pay that price for something that you can use only for blowing out your pool lines. You can use a good shop vac.

I have a DeWalt compressor that I use and it only cost me around 300.00 but it can be used with power tools and lots of things. I even use it to winterize my lawn sprinkler system lines.

Use a pressure fitting screwed into the pump drain hole and blow your lines out from the pump.

Also use one-way pool blow out valves and you don't have to drain your pool down. You can do this by yourself. Air will blow out the one way valves but will not allow water to go back into the line. They are 4.00 to 6.00 each and well worth them.

TGMcCallie:

While no one could disagree with you on the price, the Cyclone is a professional homeowner pool blower. It is compact and very portable, just as is a small air compressor. The Cyclone, along with the modified cover, quickly adapts to most Hayward pool pumps that use the same type of lid. My purchase, was not just for my pool, but for many of my friends pools, etc.

While the Cyclone is a great air blower, it can not , and should not be used on sprinkler lines as there is too much resistance on the other end, the sprinkler heads and can create too much backpressure (I have tried it and does not work). When clearing out the sprinkler lines, it is best to use an air compressor with an adapter.

Is it worth it? For me, YES, for most people, probably not. It is like the large snow blower that one purchases for $1,500 and does not see an inch of snow for 5 years, or the car insurance we pay but have not used in 20 years. IMHO, it was well worth the $$$$. The biggest issue is how to adapt the 1.5" flex hose to the system. Most air compressor's adapt with the fitting at the pump. Take care.

Reactions: drewgost

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi. I just purchased a Cyclone blower and am trying to determine the best adapters and connections to winterize my pool. I have Pentair pumps with a separate system for a negative edge / vault and a poolside spa. Blowing out through the pumps makes the most sense with this system. On the pumps, the intake from the main drain and the skimmer seems to be about 1 1/2 inches and I purchased that size of hose. The out flow seems to be 3 inches and then tapers down. What connections or adapters could I use. Is is possible to go through the pumps drain holes? Thanks for any help.

Hi. I just purchased a Cyclone blower and am trying to determine the best adapters and connections to winterize my pool. I have Pentair pumps with a separate system for a negative edge / vault and a poolside spa. Blowing out through the pumps makes the most sense with this system. On the pumps, the intake from the main drain and the skimmer seems to be about 1 1/2 inches and I purchased that size of hose. The out flow seems to be 3 inches and then tapers down. What connections or adapters could I use. Is is possible to go through the pumps drain holes? Thanks for any help.

The 1.5" 6 foot hose is flexible enough to be placed into the suction and return side from the pump housing. Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.