Can't get return plug out

Eddy24

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 2, 2014
BH (Saratoga Area), NY
I've broken two of those tools trying to unscrew the return plug so that I can replace it with the winter plug. Any suggestion of either how to get it out or if I can't on what alternatives there are. Thinking of plugging it with a sponge and duct tape.

View attachment 43332

View attachment 43332

not sure how to get rid of the duplicate photo. Posting on my phone.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 81
Stupid question, but are you turning the correct way? Looking at the damage (tear) on the tool, it almost looks like you are using it to turn it clockwise. Not trying to offend just something I might do.

They should be turned counter-clockwise to come out. Mine were stuck this too, but fortunately didn't take a lot of effort to get out.

Eddy:

I would wrap a small thin towel and use pliers (grip firm, but not too tight) and then turn clockwise. I used these originally to close, but they leaked. Put them on so tight, this was the only way to remove them (by hand they were not budging), then went back to the rubber plugs. Thanks!

I've done it myself a couple of times when trying to unscrew something while looking down over it, instead of being in front of it. LOL it seems like Righty Tighty, and Lefty Lucy, tends to get somewhat Bassy ackwards from that angle.

I have had to replace entire unit also. Now I coat the threads of the eyeball piece with majic lube (the ouside fitting has teflon tape), makes removal easier at end of season.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.