Pool closed...where are all the artists?

skimmerswimmer

Jul 30, 2013
Long Island, NY
It's always sad when the pool is winterized and closed at the end of the season. Instead of waking up and looking out on a sparkling blue pool, we now see the dreaded winter safety cover in all its glory. My cover was originally made in 1999 and will probably need to be replaced at some point in the not too distant future. Once I have a new one made, I was wondering what it would cost to have an artist paint the fabric (all 800 sq ft) to make it look like a pool when it's open? Has anyone ever seen a beautiful custom painted pool cover? Would fabric paint even hold up to winter conditions? You would think there might be a business that does this, but I googled a bit and have not found anything for custom pool cover painting/artwork.

That is a really cool idea. An oil based paint would probably be durable enough to last a couple winters I would think. Check with the cover manufacturers to make sure it won't damage the cover. Maybe check craigslist or a local college to see what you can find. You'll probably get what you pay for, but an aspiring artist might do it cheap to build their portfolio. I would imagine a few hundred bucks plus paint, but that's just a wild guess. Let me know how it goes. I may have to persuade my wife to take up the project of painting ours if you find that it's plausible to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^i know a guy up in Toronto who travels around the continent on pro outdoor murals for buildings....lets just say it would be much CHEAPER to large-format print the likeness of your open pool and have the fabricators sew THAT than to get somebody good to paint 600-800 SF.

Just my .02...but now that you mention it, or i mention it, printed vinyl photo likeness of the pool would be totally cool...my billboard vendor gets a 48-foot billboard printed for about 1200....hmmm...wonder how long they'd weather!

Well, a little good news on my end. My wife shows promise of being willing to paint our pool cover. I'm gonna do some internet sleuthing to see what kind of paint would be best. She thought it was a cool idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.