Pump can quite prime after draining and refilling pool- Please help

Oct 11, 2015
winter park
After draining my pool partially for repairs with rented water pump, I cannot get my pump to prime. Here is what I have tried after reading many posts

- Inspected and lubed pump lid and gasket
- Inspected and cleaned all basket
- Tried alternating valve settings ( i.e. drain closed & skimmer open / all open / vice versa)
- filled pump basket and inlet pipe with water for 5+ min

The pump will repeatedly pull water, fill basket, and nearly prime but then fail and flow stops. It will then repeat and never achieve prime.

I have a DE filter. Is there a advised DE valve position to help? (rinse, backwash, recirc, closed, filter)

I need help asap the natives (wife) are getting restless!!Thank you

IMG_1101.jpgvalves.jpg

Process of elimination is always best. A few questions:

1) Are all the valves open to allow the suction and return side to function properly without any resistance?
2) Do you have an isolated main drain?
3) Do you have a skimmer(s)
4) How many return jets do you have?
5) Is your backwash hose valve shut off?

Which valves control each listed above?

You should be on filter, but recirculate is fine until you get moving. If your water level is correct on the skimmer(s), you should only work with (if you can) one skimmer and one return. Shut down the main drain and other skimmer. Plug the skimmer you are working with and fill up the basket until the water overflows. Then close the lid (while someone is at the skimmer end), turn on the pump and remove either the plug or gizmo at the skimmer. Once this primes, slowly work on other skimmer (remove plug or gizmo) and then open the main drain and finally the second set of return jets. Assuming you have a similar configuration. When filling up with water, you should fill up both and close one off. This will give you more leverage to have water start circulating.

Process of elimination is always best. A few questions:

1) Are all the valves open to allow the suction and return side to function properly without any resistance? -Yes
2) Do you have an isolated main drain? - Yes
3) Do you have a skimmer(s) - One skimmer
4) How many return jets do you have? - 3
5) Is your backwash hose valve shut off? - yes

Which valves control each listed above?

I have a valve that controls the skimmer and valve that controls the the drain at the bottom of the deep end they are the two gray three way valves in the second pic

- - - Updated - - -

In the second photo above there are two gray valves and one small red one. Any guesses on what that red on controls? The gray ones are for the skimmer and drain respectively.

Yes, pool is full and well above skimmer level. The pump is pulling water but losing prime just as the pump basket fills

Try closing the main drain, plugging the skimmer and filling up the pump basket as I stated before. Try this first. If this does not work when you turn on the pump and remove the gizmo or plug in the skimmer and you start losing prime, then it appears you have air being introduced into the system. For example, when I vacuum from the skimmer and take the vacuum out of the pool, within seconds I loose prime and pressure drops to "zero". Another question, what is happening with the pressure gauge during this whole process? Check the gasket on the pump. Air in the system will cause this issue, if what I mentioned does not work.

Hard to tell with the red valve. The suction side (skimmer and main drain) come into the pump and then to the filter, out of the filter to the return side, etc. This could be anything and may or may not be part of the pool. Are you the second owner? If so, maybe asking the previous owners.

Isolate the main drain and try the skimmer (if this works), then reverse the process. Losing prime is on the suction side, not on the return side as this is not a closed loop, as in a radiant heating system.

Try closing the main drain, plugging the skimmer and filling up the pump basket as I stated before. Try this first. If this does not work when you turn on the pump and remove the gizmo or plug in the skimmer and you start losing prime, then it appears you have air being introduced into the system. For example, when I vacuum from the skimmer and take the vacuum out of the pool, within seconds I loose prime and pressure drops to "zero". Another question, what is happening with the pressure gauge during this whole process? Check the gasket on the pump. Air in the system will cause this issue, if what I mentioned does not work.

Hard to tell with the red valve. The suction side (skimmer and main drain) come into the pump and then to the filter, out of the filter to the return side, etc. This could be anything and may or may not be part of the pool. Are you the second owner? If so, maybe asking the previous owners.

Isolate the main drain and try the skimmer (if this works), then reverse the process. Losing prime is on the suction side, not on the return side as this is not a closed loop, as in a radiant heating system.

Ok, I got a prime, running great. BUT all I did was close the red handle valve in the pic? I still don't know what it does but everything runs perfect.

Good work. I would love to know why that valve is there.......I've never seen anything like it but if you are ambitious, spray some round up around those valves and then dig down a bit to see if you can figure out where the pipes that are connected that valve go. I am clueless to it's purpose.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.