Liquid Chlorine

Oct 1, 2015
Sydney
In Sydney Australia, most pools use salt water chlorinators and liquid chlorine to super chlorinate. No one I know buys uses or talks about bleach for swimming pools. Liquid chlorine is available from most pool shops and also from the two major "category killer" hardware chains, Bunnings and Masters. It is 125g/L available chlorine, present as sodium hypochlorite and generally comes in 12.5, 15 or 20 litre drums, often requiring a AUD10 deposit if you are not also returning the last drum. Liquid pool chlorine costs about AUD 1.25 per litre. eg Hy-Clor 12.5L Liquid Pool Chlorine I/N 3090252 | Bunnings Warehouse or FreeStyle Liquid Pool Chlorine 20L - Masters Home Improvement

Re: Why no one mentions Liquid Chlorine ?

OK, can we kinda clear this up for me???? What, exactly, do you mean by "liquid chlorine?"

To me, "Liquid Chlorine" is that green oily toxic chemical that I really don't want to deal with... a chemical that I probably couldn't buy, certainly wouldn't want to transport, nor would I care to store it.... let alone the thought of how to get it into the pool.

Now, if we are talking "liquid chlorine" from the pool store, that is sodium hypochlorite.... maybe as strong as 12.5% It really is nothing more than "bleach." Bleach (or sodium hypochlorite) at the big box stores is probably about 8.25%.

In the US, bleach is available everywhere. "Liquid chlorine?" not so much... and you pay a premium for it..... and it degrades way too fast....

Most people do the math and buy what is cheapest and most available.... in their area.... whatever it is called.

I think this is yet another example of why old threads should be locked. I like the new feature in TFP where threads over a certain age get a big yellow warning box at the top telling people that the thread is old but the problem is, once someone posts to an old thread, that warning banner no longer shows up.

So, in the interests of offering proposed solutions, I would say that any thread older than 18 months should be closed for comments and threads between 6-18 months should get the big yellow warning box. Those ages, by the way, are totally arbitrary. I have no specific reason for choosing them.

And, so as to not be given demerits for being off-topic, I will offer this comment -

’Tis but thy name that is mine enemy:
What’s Bleach? It is not hand nor foot,
Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part.
What’s in a name? That which we call liquid chlorine,
By any other name would smell as sour.

at my local grocery store, 10% in the pool care aisle is 3.50 a gallon, while 8.25% a few aisles over in the laundry aisle is like 3.50 for 121 oz. I always run the price per ounce calculator in the store and the "liquid chlorine" is always cheaper per oz of active ingredient than the "liquid bleach"

I haven't been able to find 12% anywhere but it sounds like store bought 8.25% is what I should stick to.

Lately most grocery chains have upped the price to around 5-6 dollars a gallon. even for generic!

One big chain though sells the generic 8.25% for $ 2.88 which is the best deal i have ever found around here.

They stock loads of it too.

As said in the initial post "It is 125g/L available chlorine, present as sodium hypochlorite" and is commonly called "liquid pool chlorine" in pool shops, in our two national "category killer" hardware chains and by most pool owners (because that is how it is labelled most places they buy it).

Sounds good, just watch the datecodes!

^^^This!^^^

Regardless of whether they're calling it bleach or liquid chlorine it's all sodium hypo. It's always handy to do the calculations and figure out how much sodium hypo you're getting for the $$$. However, some stores move more of it than others. My wife brought home some from Aldi that was three months older than the stuff from Wally World that we already had on hand for quite some time. If it's old you're not getting what you're paying for. Same thing if it was improperly stored.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I think this is yet another example of why old threads should be locked. I like the new feature in TFP where threads over a certain age get a big yellow warning box at the top telling people that the thread is old but the problem is, once someone posts to an old thread, that warning banner no longer shows up.

So, in the interests of offering proposed solutions, I would say that any thread older than 18 months should be closed for comments and threads between 6-18 months should get the big yellow warning box. Those ages, by the way, are totally arbitrary. I have no specific reason for choosing them.

And, so as to not be given demerits for being off-topic, I will offer this comment -

I actually enjoy reading the old posts. It can add perspective for people who are new to the site.

As for the topic at hand, If I am talking to a non-TFP'er, I tend to say I use liquid chlorine, as they think "bleach" can't possibly keep a pool clean. I buy the HTP chlorine at Walmart when I know it's fresh. The local True Value and Kmarthalways has last year's stock sitting out, at least it appears that way. I never checked the dates, the labels were old enough looking I didn't bother. Maybe for fun I will next time.

As others have mentioned, some Pool Stores carry it, and my local Leslie's keeps it in the back store room - you have to ask them specifically for it. What I noticed after asking was that the lady behind the counter got a lot less 'friendly' and just carried it to the register and rang it up as if she knew I wasn't a good sales mark for her effort. I chuckled to myself,

My "pool store" is actually also the original PB and the techs I use for opening/closing/equipment work, so they don't "mess" with me...even before I'm in the door they've called someone over to carry 2 cases of 12% to my car ;)

What I do like about them is that they recycle/refill the bottles. Before I switched to 12% I really hated the waste of so much plastic. If any of you don't care about a few bucks difference but the packaging waste really bothers you, you might enjoy a switch to a vendor who just refills old bottles and cases them up for you in plastic carry containers. Short of SWG, its about as convenient and as enviro-friendly as BBB can get ;)

The two other things I find kinda cute about these guys compared to most franchised pool stores is they keep the recycled bottles of CL right at the front door and the staff actually a) have pools and b) are all SWG.

I realize this sounds like a unicorn sighting ;)

I realize this sounds like a unicorn sighting ;)

Not really. We've got a mom & pop shop here in Tucson called eKonomy Pools. They sell both LC (12.5%) and MA in refillable gallon jugs. You put a $6 refundable deposit down for the bottles and carrier and you buy four 1-gallon jugs (a real gallon, not this 121oz nonsense) at a time. I get MA for $4.75/gal. I don't buy LC but I've heard folks say that it's cheapest there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here in the US, the term "liquid chlorine" generally refers to higher concentrations (>= 10%) of sodium hypochlorite. Some of it is also marketing-related as the pool stores that sell higher concentrations of sodium hypochlorite often refer to it as "liquid chlorine" to distinguish it from "bleach" which is most commonly marketed as a cleaning & laundry product. Liquid chlorine and bleach contain the same active ingredient, sodium hypochlorite, just in different concentrations. In addition to looking at the date code, this is a case where you should read the ingredients label to be informed on what you are purchasing.

I have noticed that my local Walmart is always nearly sold out of the Walmart brand of 8.25%. The shelf
is usually mainly empty with only one or two bottles left, and sometimes none at all.
By contrast the shelf with the Chlorox, which is priced at $1 more, is totally full.
I can't believe that it is all being used for laundry, so it must be pool owners catching on to the good deal.

The common household bleach commonly sold here in Australia is 4% whereas the liquid chlorine is 12.5% sodium hypochlorite sold in the big box stores. From a value point of view in my calculation the Freestyle 20 litre stuff from Masters is the best value that I can find. Hope that might clear things up for you a bit Explorer

Yes that is helpful since in the U.S. we are used to 8.25% bleach vs. 10% or 12.5% chlorinating liquid so they are more comparable and are priced such that one may be cheaper in one area while another is cheaper in another area. Your 4% bleach is more like our off-brand inexpensive bleaches that have been 3% or so and have too much excess lye in them as well.

In Sydney Australia, most pools use salt water chlorinators and liquid chlorine to super chlorinate. No one I know buys uses or talks about bleach for swimming pools. Liquid chlorine is available from most pool shops and also from the two major "category killer" hardware chains, Bunnings and Masters. It is 125g/L available chlorine, present as sodium hypochlorite and generally comes in 12.5, 15 or 20 litre drums, often requiring a AUD10 deposit if you are not also returning the last drum. Liquid pool chlorine costs about AUD 1.25 per litre. eg Hy-Clor 12.5L Liquid Pool Chlorine I/N 3090252 | Bunnings Warehouse or FreeStyle Liquid Pool Chlorine 20L - Masters Home Improvement

With the Bunnings Hy-Clor 12.5L.....is that 12.5% given that it has 125g/L ?

FP

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.