Newbie From Perth Western Australia.

Oct 10, 2015
Western Australia
Hey Everyone,

Just secured a house with a pool. This will be my first time dipping my toes into pool ownership.

Have done quite a bit of reading but im sure I will need the help and assistance of the fine people here so I have decided to sign up before moving into the place next week.

I will update all of the details in my signature then.

The pool is located in Sunny Perth, Solar Heated with a sand filter. There is quite a few unknowns as the house has been a rental for a while pool maintenance history is sketchy at best. I will get to pulling things down and making sure they are all of servicable quality once the move is done.

Here is a pic of it.

62bf4cf46857093c2c6629e5797d31a5_l.jpg

I look forward to learning and talking pools.

Scott

Welcome to TFP!

You are ahead of the game in that you have a K-2006 test kit already. When you are ready to jump in the deep,end of pool ownership go ahead and start testing and posting results.

One of us will be here to help.

Hi Scott, and Welcome to TFP, :wave:

WOW, your pool is beautiful. You've come to the right place to learn the ins and outs of properly balancing, and maintaining your beautiful new pool. Once you get settled in, and are ready to start just let us know, and someone will be glad to help you. Again Welcome to TFP, and Congrats on your new home, and pool. :)

Me again, thanks for the nice comments so far will post more pics once I'm settled :)

Now im going no to be about 35miles from my nearest store for supplies so want to do a shop as nothing has been left at the house and they have put the pool blanket on and it's been 35degrees C here for a couple of weeks I'm expecting I might have to SLAM once I get my test kit.

So I'm planning to do a shop next time I'm in town.

So far on my list I have

Liquid chlorine
hydrochloric acid
salt
soda ash
stabilizer

is there anything else I should get or is that going to cover me for most situations?

Hi Scott, Welcome to TFP. Your just up the road from me in Bunbury. Sounds like you have things in hand- nice photo of the pool by the way. I've found Masters has the best prices for liquid chlorine-cheaper than Bunnings. Just check that the Liquid chlorine is not too old, ideally less than a couple of months old, which shouldn't be a problem with Masters as they turnover the stock fairly quickly (probably need to check that its not leftover from last summer). I find that with my SWG, my ph tends to rise over time so the HCL acid is always to have around as well as stabiliser. When you get a chance post some test results and we can see what's needed.

That looks like a pretty good shopping list Scott. Since you are suspecting you will be doing a SLAM you might want to get several gallons of bleach. Be sure and check the date codes it will look something like this 15265 (which means the 265th day of 2015). Here is little calculator link that will tell what day of the year we are currently at. Today is day 285 :) http://mistupid.com/calendar/dayofyear.htm

I hope this helps, and have a wonderful day. :)

Nope, you need chlorine - lots of it.

A chlorine generator if sized properly for the pool will generally produce sufficient chlorine to keep,a clear pool clear. It will not produce enough to clear up a green pool.

Looking at the sales literature for your system it also dispenses acid to maintain pH, but,I,don't see what sensor they are using for the pH control.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
When you start your SLAM you can shut your Chlorinator off during it, and just do manual liquid chlorine adds because as Tim said, it's not going to be able to supply you with the full amount you need during that time anyway, so you might as well help prolong your cell life by shutting it off. :)

Also there's no such thing as a dumb question. ;) If you have a question on Anything, regardless of how big or how small, please don't hesitate to ask because that's why we're all here is to teach you our method, and to answer any questions you may have along the way. Have a wonderful day. :)

Hi Scott. You have got some green in there. Your chlorinator is very similar to mine although I don't have the Ph Feeder on mine. Are the lights flashing or green/red. I noticed that there is a red light on the PH status which by the looks means that the PH is too low or high. As already mentioned you are going to need to SLAM the pool which you are going to need a fair bit of liquid chlorine to be able to bring it up and maintain at shock level. BUT you are going to need to get that proper test kit so that you have all the ACCURATE readings to be able to effectively execute the SLAM. In particular you need to be able to get an accurate CYA reading to determine your shock level of FC for SLAM. The algae is consuming the chlorine faster than your chlorinator can produce it. I would put in a few litres of 12.5% chlorine daily to keep the algae at bay until you can get your test kit. Turn the chlorinator dial to MIN so that your chlorinator is not on as mentioned above but importantly your pump will continue to filter and circulate the water in your pool. Also closely monitor your pressure gauge on the sand filter, and watch for any dramatic increases, which will indicate that you will need to backwash your filter. Your gauge may even have an indicator which tells you to backwash (usually when it gets above 100. Although generally it is suggested to backwash when the pressure rises 20% from it starting clean pressure. Try and scoop out any insoluble material/debris/dead algae and brush the pool daily. But make getting the test kit the highest of priorities and read the relevant stuff in Pool School. You will get there. Good luck mate. Yell out if you need any more advice.

Wow Scott, it's looking much better already. It's blue again. :whoot:

That's an awesome transformation in just 24 hours. Just keep dosing with chlorine, filtering, vacuuming as needed,
brushing 1-2 times a day- (paying close attention to algae hiding areas i.e.-the light niches, steps, returns, skimmer, weir door, areas where the pool wall and bottom come together, etc.), and you'll have that beautiful pool cleared up in no time.

Keep up the great job, and have a wonderful night.:)

Yeah, I have added no chlorine currently as I had not been to the pool shop to get some yet. Im going to wait unit the PH settles and then start adding some.

Since I dont have a test kit yet how much should I be putting in as a start? 1 gallon is 3.8Litres locally.

Night.. Its only 11am and im still moving house no rest for me for a whole while haha :)

Wow, no chlorine added in there yet, it's really going to start clearing once the chlorine starts being added. Amazing what 24 hours of filtration alone did for it.

I would recommend adding a gallon of bleach a day until your test kit arrives, once it arrives then you can check your levels, and adjust accordingly.

Keep up the great job, and have a wonderful "day" LOL it's 10:30PM where I'm at, but since it's 11 Am there, I suppose I'll say day. :).

Did another load of furniture up there and gave it a scrub.. Not a great idea in the midday sun.. No wonder you guys/gals with the big pools have a man who "comes to clean ze pool" But its looking nice and cloudy again. I will vacuum it tomorrow hopefully (its a competing priority at the moment.)

Should I wait for the PH to level out or just start adding chlorine regardless?

Get that chlorine in Scott- about 4 litres of liquid chlorine daily. Remember the aim of the game atm is to stay on top of the algae and not let it get any worse. I'm assuming your still running the chlorinator? As mentioned keep the brushing, vacuuming, pumping going but keep adding the liquid chlorine in.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support