Ecotech EZ and "fireman's switch"

May 19, 2012
I am planning to replace a WhisperFlo WFE6 with an Ecotech EZ EVSS15-NS. I currently have a mechanical timer that includes a "fireman's switch." To prevent damage to the heater, the switch turns off the heater 20 minutes before the pump shuts off. I've read the Ecotech installation and maintenance manual and can't find a similar feature. Do I just have to remember to turn off the heater at least 20 minutes before the pump shuts off? Or is there another method that would accomplish this?

Not really sure what you are asking here...If the timer currently controls the heater and pump, then replacing the pump everything should still work the same. How old is the heater? Most newer ones don't require a "cooldown" period any more as once the fire shuts off there is no more heat going into the unit and that is the highest temp point the unit will see

The Ecotech EZ has a built-in electronic timer so the need for the mechanical timer is eliminated. When I install the EZ, the fireman's switch will be bypassed/eliminated. So the question is, what do homeowners do about the fireman's switch function when they install a variable speed motor with built in timer? Rely on memory to run the pump for 20 minutes after shutting off the heater? Or is there another solution?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.