Homemade Solar Mats

Re: Pool Heating Solution for Florida ?

How much do they blow around and out of the pool?
None have blown out or in since i got them 3wks ago. When we swim they stack up on the deck n then toss em back in when done. Only thing is we had to re blow a few as some leaked air out of the nozzle. Still working to heat the pool so I don't mind. Solar blankets can be dangerous if you fall in one you get sucked into it n cant get out.

Re: Pool Heating Solution for Florida ?

I do have pics ...
53ae0d74fa8ebcbd4a331bb7b885df2f.jpg
07e77b5af0ad44f1d5ea1631bc84cae2.jpg

As you can see here the air pockets in the expensive one 40$ are the same as the baby pool .50 .The pockets absorb heat n release it into the water. The same technology at work here. The darker the better.

Walmart in store after summer clearance . Just any baby pool will work so long as it has air pockets in its bottom. Even if they are 5-10$ still much less than 30-40$. If not this year than the next. I haven't looked into bubble wrap but you might find it at office supply stores. Happy hunting.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Walmart in store after summer clearance . Just any baby pool will work so long as it has air pockets in its bottom. Even if they are 5-10$ still much less than 30-40$. If not this year than the next. I haven't looked into bubble wrap but you might find it at office supply stores. Happy hunting.

I thought they were floats, not baby pools. Makes sense now. Thanks!

I thought they were floats, not baby pools. Makes sense now. Thanks!

Floats have air pockets that are long and skinny. Is the key that the pockets be fairly small, or would a float also work?

I surmise the pools would be better as they can hold a small amount of water in them to act as a weight and keep them from blowing out. But what if a string with something lightweight attached was tied around a float. Would that work?

When experimenting I measured temp from sunrise to sundown with just sun n pool temp changed maybe 2'. With baby pools in I got 6'. Note my neighbors pool yesterday was at 74' with nothing n mine at 80' with baby pools. Keep in mind my plaster is a dk blue n theirs is light. Yes I think a lil water in them could help with blowing around yet I haven't had any issues. The pools kinda stick to the water.. shrug. Floats may work, the thinner the better. Household6 good way to think outside the box. I assume that a tarp weighted or floated with string like you said should work. Would keep heat, water n chems in the pool. Hula hoops are a good idea so long as they hold up n you don't mind the look.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.