Help with balancing my water before pool service covers

May 29, 2015
Cincinnati/ohio
We are having a pool service close our pool but I have told them I will take care of balancing the water. I will admit I have not been testing as often as I should this past month but want to make sure everything is where it should be before we close.
Todays readings:
CYA 60
FC 14
CC 0
CH 250
TA 110
pH 7.8

The water doesn't look as crystal clear as I feel it did all summer but my readings are good I think. I have battled with adjusting the swg so that it maintains a lower number so I realize that is high. pH has held at 7.8 all summer. I have tried to lower it but it just jumps back up.

What is causing the slight cloudiness? Or is it in my head since I do feel the lighting changes this time of year.

What should I add to the pool before they cover? Chlorine, algaecide??

Last edited:
You should go ahead and lower the pH again. Pools with SWG tend to have pH rise, and lowering the TA to around 70 will help combat that. You will also want to raise the FC to shock level, 24ppm for your CYA of 60. You can add a polyquat algacide if you wish, but it is not required. If you do use an algacide make sure it does not contain copper. If you want to make sure there is nothing growing in your pool do an overnight chlorine loss test . If you pass the OCLT then you should adjust the pH and FC as stated in this post and you will be good to close.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.