too remove pool stairs or not?

Tere

Bronze Supporter
May 30, 2015
Colorado Springs
I read as much in the archives as possible but I need more advice. This could possibly be the last weekend it's warm enough to remove the pool stairs ( Amazon.com : Confer Plastics Access Pool Step : Swimming Pool Ladders : Patio, Lawn Garden ). They are not filled with sand. I did put holes near the bottom to sink them. I had been using bleach bottles with gravel to weigh them down.

The water temp was 70 degrees yesterday so maybe one last swim for the dogs if the temp gets up with the 80 degrees today and tomorrow.

I am not very strong and the steps going in was easy. But how does one get them out? I don't have a deck to pull them up on to and I worry about the top rail of the pool but the stair seem to like to float : ). We bought the stairs used and had been filled with sand ( removed pre install). I had to spend a long time flushing the sand /pebbles out and getting algae out ( possible didn't get it all-it was shedding skin like stuff when I flushed it pre install).

I have one acrobatic dog who vaults over the side of the pool when she assumes her ball is in the pool. We installed a one way pool gate so if she got in she could get out. The stairs on the out side of the pool are wood with a small 3 ft x 3 ft platform.

So I thought maybe if I laid the stair on their side it might be ok?
How does the freezing affect the plastic on the stairs? It can get down to 3 below zero here in winter. We don't get much snow - like 6 " a few times but there is always the potential for a foot and blowing snow drifts. The pool is behind the house and surrounded by a bank of pine trees so possible less chance of snow drifts near the pool.

It also gets many warm days here in CO so I'm not sure if the water will get down below 60 degrees consistently.

It was a great first summer, This forum is incredible. Thank you all!

duraleigh, I could arrange a photo shoot lol. She has loved being in the pool. My 13 1/2 y.o. lab is in his glory, loves to asks me daily to swim. I think family access is important topic even if the kids have fur. We did some pool therapy with the old dog. The young one was keeping my son company, she's part therapy dog and should be trained as service dog.

Linda, My husband thinks once we unweight it we could wrestle them out. I worry though the pup will pop over the side and if we take out the stairs she's rip the liner trying to get out. I might put in the old skinny steps until it gets really cold. She does know how to use those.

I only have 2 pillows for winter and thought maybe I should collect some car or truck tires and inflate them to make the cover well supported and maybe catch the puppy, she weighs 50 lbs. We have been allowing her to practice landing on top of the solar cover and finding her way off. The solar cover is super strong and her nails are very short ( It was very cheap too) My older dog fell through a neighbor's pool cover in winter and he saved him. The neighbor never had a fence or gate on the pool deck.

Way off topic but would love to see a pic of that dog clearing a 48" pool.:)

Depending on breed, it wouldn't surprise me. My neighbor's Doberman jumps his 4ft chain link fence all the time. He was getting ready to scale mine when his owner called his name.

Back on topic... I've seen steps left in n be used the next year. Would I do it? No. But I'd assume if you did, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

You have the same stairs I do. I would take the stairs out. Take the weights off and see what happens. With the weights off of mine, they start to float on their own, and slowly drain. I would let them float and self drain as much as possible. You say you drilled drain holes in the bottom, so it should drain even faster.

However, that is what I would do. Where I live it freezes. Honestly, I think you would be OK leaving them in given your weather. Maybe just remove the handrails- take the screws out and the handrails pull out.

If you do take the steps out, you can make a small ramp out of a piece of plywood for the dog to use to get out. They sell them as well (search for pool pet ramps) but they are a lot cheaper just to cobble together. Out dog knows enough not to go into the pool, especially with the cover on. He would destroy it trying to get out.

-dave

duraleigh, I could arrange a photo shoot lol. She has loved being in the pool. My 13 1/2 y.o. lab is in his glory, loves to asks me daily to swim. I think family access is important topic even if the kids have fur. We did some pool therapy with the old dog. The young one was keeping my son company, she's part therapy dog and should be trained as service dog.

Linda, My husband thinks once we unweight it we could wrestle them out. I worry though the pup will pop over the side and if we take out the stairs she's rip the liner trying to get out. I might put in the old skinny steps until it gets really cold. She does know how to use those.

I only have 2 pillows for winter and thought maybe I should collect some car or truck tires and inflate them to make the cover well supported and maybe catch the puppy, she weighs 50 lbs. We have been allowing her to practice landing on top of the solar cover and finding her way off. The solar cover is super strong and her nails are very short ( It was very cheap too) My older dog fell through a neighbor's pool cover in winter and he saved him. The neighbor never had a fence or gate on the pool deck.

Just a friendly reminder for all of us with four legged family members: please, please train your dog where the exit steps are. From a dog's perspective, the pool's edge looks identical. I taught my dog the steps and when I put her in (she's a wire haired dachshund and only swims for therapy. I probably wouldn't want to swim for fun if my legs and arms were only two inches long either!) she immediately orients herself to the steps and will not swim in any other direction.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.