Is it OK to close pool with cloudy water?

Apr 18, 2014
United States
Hi, September was a busy month and I didn't get to maintain my pool as much as I would have liked, and algae built up. I swept out what I could through waste, but the water was green. I shocked the pool, then ran algaecide and the water is no longer green, but is cloudy. I can see the bottom of the pool so it's not super cloudy, but I was wondering if I should still continue to make the pool clear (maybe with some clarifier?) before closing. I am going to use Robelle winterizing kit (which worked great last year).... any suggestions? Thanks!

Please add your signature and possibly location of which State you are located in. It is best to clear up the pool prior to closing. If it is cloudy, then you still have issues that have to be cleared up. It is best to SLAM at this time and close the pool properly. This will help in the spring, in case you wait a little too long and then open up to a green pool.

Additionally, how are you testing your water? Can you please post a full set of test results. Thanks!

Here is some reading information:

Pool School - Pool School

Pool School - Defeating Algae

Pool School - Handy Reference

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.