new wet edge satin add Borates

roth79

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 19, 2009
Any problem starting borates in a new finish 2 weeks old, I am waiting 30 days for salt as directed, but can I add borates and MA now as I'm testing and fighting the chemicals daily, its a Florida pool and want to get it perfectly balanced for the new finish.

It is the BBB method I learned here.

Thanks,

R

I think it is more prudent to wait as your new finish is curing and you'll be having to monitor and adjust the pH more often for the first few months. The addition of borates so soon can alter the pH response when you need to adjust it from the curing.

We most always suggest that borates are an optional item and can be added much later as you learn about your pool.

In your case, since you are "fighting" your chemistry daily, I would put borates out of my thinking until you have the pool under control.

As always, any advice we give is just guesswork until you share some test results with us.

Put that TF-100 to use and let's see the condition of your pool water. BTW, how does the water look?

It looks great, 2 weeks new wet edge finish, looking great. For start up they just add Jacks magic and acid. I took over on day 3 and have been just slowly adding chems to get it in range. as of right now, the numbers are

PH 7.5
FC 8.5
TA 70
CH 280
CYA 40
Temp 78 (florida)
I was going to raise the ta or should I leave it alone. I have added MA daily as the PH is rising do to I assume new finish. A few weeks I will add salt.

Water looks great.

Duraleigh I thought you was in North Carolina or down to Florida for the winter Boss?

Thanks,

Roth

The numbers suggest you have "won" the chemistry fight.......they all look very good.

Your CYA is a bit low for the SWG to do it's best work (maybe around 70). Other than that I wouldn't change anything.

I would try to keep these numbers as stable as possible and I doubt you will have any issues at all with the pool.

As the weather cools, your FC consumption will drop rather dramatically so be prepared to reduce your SWG output.

So, give yourself a bit more time and read more about borates. The forum has always considered it an optional item but many people report quite a few benefits from introducing it.

PS - I am a resident of Florida now. My daughter owns and runs TFTestkits and it is still in North Carolina.

My job now is two-fold. I assist her with some of the intricacies of that business until she is comfortable and I answer technical questions if they get really involved.

Secondly, my primary responsibility is to be on the forum as much as I can.........answering what I can and assisting the Moderators concerning the smooth flow of the forum.

Thanks Dave, and welcome to Florida, you will swim year round. I had borates in the Hydrazzo and my water never looked or felt better with your test kit and this site no problems. Quick question my pool refinisher has no idea pool water balance, but he did add jacks magic the pink stuff and he told me I should continue with their product in addition to what I have been doing with the bbb method. Do I still use the jacks for a while or just balance it and go? He also said they have a product to add with the salt and some de powder that's suppose to be better, is he selling me stuff I don't need like the pool store?

Btw I had sent a e mail to your daughter for some product and she did great, like you never left, lol. Thanks again.

Roth

I would have the pool water tested for iron content (not very common in FL at all) and if the results are .3ppm or less, you can eliminate the Jacks Magic.

It is a sequestrant to keep metals suspended in solution but if you have little or no iron to begin with, there is no point.

Unless you tested and found your pool pretty high in iron, I would discontinue it's use.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.