12V LED Strip lights under the lip of the pool - Bad Idea/Non Code Compliant?

Aug 19, 2014
Jupiter, FL
Greetings All,

I saw some cool LED strip pool lighting like the this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cT4VPrvc5rE

However, thinking in my situation adding led lighting to a pool via surface mounted conduit - it probably not code compliant/safe?

My situation/idea:
- Wiring to current underground lighting to the in ground pool looks to be severed somewhere (Was like this before I got the place last year) - bypassing this entire setup
- Idea to get LED strip to pool
- Get a 12V "pool safe" transformer connected to a GFCI outlet 15' from the pool
- Run the 12V lines in surface mount conduits to the pool
- Run the 12v line to under the lip of the pool in a flexible cable track - like this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Wiremold-5-ft-Flexible-Floor-Cable-Track-Ivory-CDI-5/100095586 - would use pool epoxy putty or other adhesive to hold the track down and use clamps while it cured in the C shape it needs to make to get over the pools edge and under the pool lip -- seeing this part typed out makes this idea look really really horrible......anyway on with the train wreck....
- run the IP68 LED strip lighting under the pool lip - and either adhere it every 3" with epoxy pool putty (held down with clamps until cured) or use the plastic clips and find some what to attach those to the concrete underside of the lip.

Really bad idea right?

There's also fiber optic light kits that offer lighting without any risk of electrics under water.

A friend of mine gave me his made for a spa with extra long fiber rope. same application.

The main box with a halogen sits in the equipment room then the fiber is laid out in the pool between
coping and pool with black out tape on the part before its in the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.