Pool Store whirlwind, i want to test everthing

Oct 9, 2015
kzoo, MI
I've tried trusting the Pool Stores and am ready to get off the try 20 different chemicals roller coaster. What do I need to be able to do all my own testing for both my pool and hot tub? I am using bromine in the hot tub and a SWG on the pool. I'm confused between the different test kits and if only 1 kit will cover everything I need. I have started reading the TFPC philosophy.

Hello and welcome to TFP. Good choice on your own testing. I'm with Woody on the TF-100. This should help you:
- The TF-100 (link below in my sig) will cover everything for your pool and even help to test bromine in your spa. You can use the FAS-DPD chlorine test portion of the TF-100 and just realize that when you are testing Free Chlorine (FC) in that test that you are really testing Total Bromine if you multiply your result by 2.25. Here is a great discussion on that subject: Testing bromine?.
- Since you have an SWG, you'll need to test for salt separately. You can get the kit for that at the same web site here: TFTestkits.net

If you're curious, here are the test kits compared: Pool School - Test Kits Compared. I have the TF-100 and love it. Make sure to ask for the speed stir to help you mix like a pro. Hope this helps.

Hi hillard,
congrats on your decision to take control of your pool. In addition to the TF100 already mentioned, if you care to test the salt level also which teh TF100 doesnt cover, then I suggest adding the Taylor K1766 salt test kit to your shopping list.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.