Can I open using my old stuff or should I just use bleach?

Fitz

Apr 15, 2009
Marietta, Georgia
I read "Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis" and looked at how to get to shock level with the caluclator so I think I have a pretty good idea how to clear up my pool. But, I have some pool chemicals left over from last season that I would possibly like to use up before using the BBB method:

10 1lb bags Chlor Brite (DiChlor)
12 tabs (3") trichlor
1/2 quart Leslie's Algae Control

I understand that the trichlor and dichlor can raise CYA but I'm not sure how much it would be. Any suggestions on using any of this to clear up my green swamp?

Here are the test results from the pool store:

FC 0
TC 0
PH 7.8 (I read 7.5 with my test kit)
TA 90
CYA 40

20,000 gal
vinyl liner
sand filter

Welcome to TFP!

10 lbs of dichlor will raise your CYA level by 31, way too much. If you trust the pool store CYA reading, it wouldn't hurt to use two or three bags, but don't go beyond that. You can find out the answer to questions like this one using the Effects of adding chemicals section near the bottom of my Pool Calculator, see the link in my signature.

The trichlor dissolves too slowly to be much use against algae. I would save that for vacations.

The Algae Control isn't all that effective against an algae bloom. It is better at preventing algae from getting started in the first place. I would save that for closing in the fall.

Hi Fitz and welcome to the forum :wave:

Bottom line, yes, you are better off just using "bleach" (plain 6% from the grocery store/wally world, etc.) or liquid chlorine from the pool store (same as bleach, but a higher % like 10% or so). It is the same sodium hypochlorite, just different %'s.

Congrats on starting the season with a CYA of 40, TA of 90, and pH somewhere around 7.5 to 7.8! :goodjob:
I know some folks that would knock you down for those #'s! :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:

When you get a moment, please add your pool and equipment specs in your signature and your location in your profile. :wink:

Let us know how it is going.

Re: Can I open using my old stuff... *long*

My not checking in for awhile is a testament to the usefulness of the pool calculator and the pool school articles. Thanks!

I put in 3 bags of dichlor and bleach the first night to bring it up to what amounted to "frog kill" shock level (the frog that I was unable to catch in the skimmer that night was floating dead on his back the next morning in the skimmer). It truly was a swamp. I continued to add bleach to get it up to shock level for several days while the green started to fade. I only had a standard chlorine/ph testing kit so I took water to Leslie's nearby for testing frequently. I got wide swings in testing numbers from different testers there (amazingly some numbers were drastically different for the same person on the same day!).

Here's a rundown of what happened:

Thurs. morning
FC 1
TC 5
PH 7.2
TA 80
CH 200
CYA 20
Added bleach target 15.

Thurs afternoon
FC 1
TC 1
PH 7.0
TA 50
CH 250
CYA 40
Added bleach target 15.

Fri morning
FC 5
TC 5
PH 7.4 (my PH reading looks more like 6.8 )
TA 70
CH 150
CYA 28
Added bleach target 15. Added borax to raise PH.
Tested and added more bleach Fri. night.

Sat morning (diff pool store that used strips with computer)
FC 6.5
TC 6.5
PH 6.5
TA 66
CH 143
CYA not tested (he wouldn't test it because he didn't think it really mattered, won't be going back there)
Added soda ash to raise PH and TA.
Sun. started running Polaris during the day and emptying frequently, ewwwww, nasty green sludge and pine needles. Tried to vacuum but couldn't tell what was going on in the deep end and ended up just wasting water.

Mon. morning
FC 5
TC 5
PH 7.6 (my PH reading is 7.2)
TA 100 (I thought this was a bad reading so I ignored it)
CH 250
CYA 40
Added borax to raise PH. Used my basic test kit for next week, if it started turning yellow after a couple of drops I figured was around shock level (this isn't rocket science right? :-D ) If I registered 5 on my kit, added bleach with 15 target. When the green tinge was gone, started targeting 6.

After almost a week, Polaris finally stopped filling with nasty sludge while running during the day, mostly just pine needles (lots!) now.
(Next) Sun. morning
FC 5
TC 5
PH 7.4
TA 80
CH 250
CYA 40
Water temp 75
Water blue and cloudy.
I've been getting the feeling that they are overshooting on CYA. Ordered TF tests kits for DPD and CYA and stopped testing at Leslie's.

Lots of rain for several days, raised pool level about 3 inches. Backwashed filter to clean and lower water level.

Received TF DPD and CYA kits yesterday. My test results:
Mon. evening
FC 1.5
CC .5
PH 7.6
CYA 27 (first try not sure if I was reading it right)
Added bleach, FC target 4

Tues. afternoon
FC 2.5
CC .5
PH 7.6
CYA 23 (pretty sure I'm reading it right after looking at Taylor website on CYA test)
Water Temp 72
Water blue and cloudiness still clearing. Polaris is picking up very little debris now. Can see the drain cover in the deep end, yay!

I know this is very long, but it's been a few weeks and I thought it might prove informative (and show how random pool store testing can be).

So my question now is, I still have some bags of dichlor and some trichlor. Should I use that to increase my CYA level a bit and test again in a week? What should I target at first and for final target? Any other thoughts?

BTW, I'm renting the house and the owner does not have a pool cover. He told us to just drain the pump when it got cold and clean it out in the spring. Next winter we'll keep the pool open and run the pump for about four hours at night (I was told that's about right for here) and longer if it's freezing. What a nasty mess. Ended up pulling almost an entire garbage can full of pine needles from the pool. Did I mention that I *hate* pine trees? They're just big weeds as far as I'm concerned.

I would use the dichlor just to get rid of it. In 20k gal, each 1lb bag gets you 3ppm CYA according to the calculator. Use the dichlor as needed to maintain your FC level, when it's gone retest CYA to see where you are.

Like Jason said, keep the trichlor for vacations. I'm finding that two pucks in a floater will pretty well maintain my FC level for over a week, but I also have a solar cover which tends to reduce FC loss from sunlight. YMMV.
--paulr

Re: Can I open using my old stuff... *long*

Fitz said:
I only had a standard chlorine/ph testing kit so I took water to Leslie's nearby for testing frequently. I got wide swings in testing numbers from different testers there (amazingly some numbers were drastically different for the same person on the same day!).

Time to get yourself a test kit. I suggest the one that is promoted on the site as it is inexpensive and all you need for all of the tests. It will save you time and money from having to run to the pool store for inaccurate results.

http://www.tftestkits.net/

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.