Intro / New Pool Owner

Oct 8, 2015
Wind Gap, PA
Hi everyone, my name is Mike and I'm purchasing a home in Wind Gap, PA that has an in ground pool.
We settle on Oct 22nd and the pool is already closed for the season. I'm a DIY guy, I want to learn how to maintain the pool on my own.
I'm trying to get an early start on the do's and don'ts before spring is back and its time to open the pool.
I joined here to read and learn, been surfing the site for a few days now in my spare time. I don't know much about the pool yet.
The only things I know is it's an in ground, cartridge filter, and it's not deep. It looks as though its about
5-6 feet at one end and about 2-3 at the other end. The current owner told me its a "low-chlorine" pool, still not sure what that means?

Welcome :wave:

When you take possession of the home, get as much info as you can on the pool equipment. Can you find out information from the previous owner? If it was closed, who closed it? Is the equipment removed from the pad and, if so, where is it being stored? Some pool closing companies take the pump and filter with them as part of the closing process so that you have to use them at opening.

Read, read, READ!!! That's the best you can do right now. Oh, an update your signature line with pool specs as soon as you get them. Some other ideas -

1. Order your test kit now (TF-100 from TFTestkits.net or K-2006 from Taylor or Amazon). It is ok to buy it now and keep it. The reagents will be fine. You can even play with it a bit and test the tap water or the stagnant water in the pool to see how badly the closing "professionals" screwed it up ;)

2. READ....A LOT!

3. ASK LOTS OF QUESTIONS....we're all super-OCD around here and will be happy to help.

4. Open your pool in the spring BEFORE the water temperature gets above 60F. That will help keep you from opening to a green pool.

5. Did I mention reading a lot??

As for "low chlorine"....that's just an uninformed previous owner who probably relied on a pool company to "care" for their pool...no such thing as "low chlorine". So the best thing you can do is interrogate the previous owners as much as possible about the pool specs and then post them here. We will help you make sense of the nonsense....

Thanks for the response!

Im working on getting information on the pool right now. I'm pretty sure its a vinyl liner too.

I will update my signature as soon as I know more about the pool. Ill also take pictures of the setup and post them.

I already put the K-2006 in my wishlist on Amazon.

I have been asking around at work about the "low chlorine" to the guys who have pools and they all look at me like I'm crazy lol

Thanks for the help!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and Ive read the Pool School section several times. Its a little overwhelming with all the different abbreviations and chemicals, I learn more by doing then reading.

No worries friend. Just keep reading and asking questions. Even simple questions like "what is CYA and why do I need it?" or "How are TA and pH related?" or "Which is better, sand, cartridge or DE filters?". That last one will bring out the opinions and friendly disagreements like no one's business ;) All questions, big and small, are totally appropriate. As many have said, the only dumb question is the one you do not ask.

For you, I might recommend the TF-100 with XL option and SpeedStir from TFTestkits.net. The TF test kits use all the same Taylor reagents that the K-2006 uses. The sizes and quantities are optimized for getting the most tests out of the kit that you will use the most. The XL option is just larger quantities. As a new pool owner, and if you should need to SLAM your pool, the XL option will come in quite handy as you will test A LOT in the beginning. The SpeedStir is a nice gadget to have as it makes testing a lot easier by freeing your hand from having to "swirl" a test tube. As well, if you like what you see here on TFP and if you become a paying member, they give you some money off purchases at TFTestkits.net. That's not a "hard sell" or "ask" on my part, just a heads up. We are all very egalitarian here and help all who come our way regardless of whether or not you're a supporter.

A Taylor K-2006 is fine too (I own one) but you will need to refill it sooner since it tends to supply the same number of tests across the board for each parameter and there are some tests (like calcium hardness) that only need infrequent testing. Your choice, we accept results from both kits. One thing we do not accept are pool store based testing. Pool stores are often way off on their testing and really only offer it (as a free service) to hook you into the store and try to sell you chemicals you really don't need. And, the facts are facts, pool stores stink at testing. So get your own kit and you'll be the Master of your Ship!

Ill go with that kit then, Ill make sure I order it before spring. Money is a little tight right now with closing coming up, plus I'm keeping my current house as a rental. So I'm going to be covering 2 mortgages until I get a renter.
I'm all for testing it myself and doing the work myself, that doesn't bother me one bit.

Thanks again for the advice

Well hello there! You are just the kind of person TFP is made for!! DIY and willing to ask questions! NICE!

We would LOVE to see a pic of the pool! Oct. 22 is not that far off! Fun times and $$ ahead. Good luck finding a renter for your old house. We sold our old house after hearing so many horror stories when I told others we were thinking of renting it. YIKES! No thanks! Make sure to do a background check AND the credit score!

Kim

Well hello there! You are just the kind of person TFP is made for!! DIY and willing to ask questions! NICE!

We would LOVE to see a pic of the pool! Oct. 22 is not that far off! Fun times and $$ ahead. Good luck finding a renter for your old house. We sold our old house after hearing so many horror stories when I told others we were thinking of renting it. YIKES! No thanks! Make sure to do a background check AND the credit score!

Kim

Im a DIY'er with everything lol. I figure even if I mess up and have to fix my mess up, its still cheaper than paying someone. Plus I love to learn...

As far as renting, I'm skeptical of it too. I hear the good and bad from people all the time, I'm just too far in the hole to sell it.

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome to TFP! :wave: I 2nd that recommendation for the TF-100. XL and "Speed Stir" are a must. :)

Thanks, that's the kit I'll get then :testkit:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support