Draining Pool below returns - Is this a problem?

caliskier

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 24, 2014
Oklahoma City, OK
I have a small 3/16" per day leak in my vinyl liner pool. I am getting ready to close, I just drained the pool an inch below the skimmers and still have the 3/16" leak. I do not believe it is the plumbing as I sealed all pluming except for the drain and still had the leak. I know you can drain vinyl pools too far...what I want to know is this...

1. Is there a problem with draining below the returns? - Trying to rule out that the place where the return connects to the liner is/is not the culprit
2. I read here that 8" above the shallow end is about the farthest you can go, definitely stop if the walls start to pull away. How far does TFP recommend is the max?

Thanks in advance folks...

You can drain a vinyl lined pool as low as leaving 1 foot of water in the shallowest part of the pool without risk of the liner shifting. However, if you have a high water table around the pool or have recently gotten significant rainfall, lowering the water level could allow some water in the ground to seep behind the liner and bubble the liner inward. This is usually only a problem in low lying areas after significant rain fall or pools with poor drainage around them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.