A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

OH boy here we go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS IS GOING TO BE SO MUCH FUN!!!!!!!!!!

Marla I am SO happy for you! I am glad he came around to a pool.

Stacked stone and levels...........water feature.............fire pit (with pretty glass!) What kind of gas? or will it be logs?

square.............plaster...............benches.............20x20...........

swim pump wanted? like ozdiver has

Oh the things I am working on!

Kim

Yes the fire pit would have natural gas plumbed to it. Of course I love the glass beads, but the lava rocks would be fine. Don't think we'd do logs. Been there. Done that.

LOL Kim! Have fun spending my money!

OH boy here we go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS IS GOING TO BE SO MUCH FUN!!!!!!!!!!

Marla I am SO happy for you! I am glad he came around to a pool.

Stacked stone and levels...........water feature.............fire pit (with pretty glass!) What kind of gas? or will it be logs?

square.............plaster...............benches.............20x20...........

swim pump wanted? like ozdiver has

Oh the things I am working on!

Kim

Thanks! I didn't realize finding someone who'd build in town would be so difficult. Hopefully you won't have that problem.

Yay Marla!!! I'm SO EXCITED FOR YOU!!! I'm also currently living vicariously through the builds of others until we can do ours. Although, I enjoy them so much and they are all so beautiful and unique that I will continue that habit after ours is completed!
I pray you find the PERFECT builder for your dream come true!
Blessings!
Denise

Marla how deep do you think you will want it? Will it be a social pool with lots of nice people hanging out? A play pool with lots of people playing volley ball and such? An awwwwwwwwww life is good floating pool?

Kim

Marla how deep do you think you will want it? Will it be a social pool with lots of nice people hanging out? A play pool with lots of people playing volley ball and such? An awwwwwwwwww life is good floating pool?

Kim

Probably a floating or social pool. Maybe 3.5 or 4' to 5'. Since I am short, I don't want it too deep. No kids at home anymore either. Don't know if it's big enough to go 4-5-4. Not sure how much slope is required.

Marla I will measure my pool's WATER height. I like how deep it is. My husband can cannon ball (to get me wet-MEN!), I can go under water and swim underwater, etc. BUT I can stand without any trouble in the whole thing.

How short are you? I am 5'5", husband is 5'8".

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Probably a floating or social pool. Maybe 3.5 or 4' to 5'. Since I am short, I don't want it too deep. No kids at home anymore either. Don't know if it's big enough to go 4-5-4. Not sure how much slope is required.
Congrats on your pool build! The depth measurements you're considering are very similar to ours: starting depth of 3.5' down to 5' and back up to 4'. I'm 5'7" and my gf's about 5'1" and we can easily swim and walk (she tiptoes) the pool. Can't wait to see your build and final pool! Good luck!

Congrats on your pool build! The depth measurements you're considering are very similar to ours: starting depth of 3.5' down to 5' and back up to 4'. I'm 5'7" and my gf's about 5'1" and we can easily swim and walk (she tiptoes) the pool. Can't wait to see your build and final pool! Good luck!

Good to hear! Are you in Pearland or Freeport?

Haha they even have that situation covered in Austin. If your tree is dying then the arborist will 'prescribe' treatment you must do or you will be fined. After all the tree is special right? No cutting that thing down unless it is completely dead. Good thing you don't have those kind of rules.

They still build the McMansions in Austin but they have funny shapes because they go around the special trees. I think it gives the houses character in a weird unplanned type of way.

Yeah "Keep Austin Weird." relates to their building rules.

Better to ask NOW so you can research and plan $$$$!

We just measured our water height. It comes to middle chest high on 5'8" hubby and just under shoulders on 5'5" me. That makes it 48". The water is right at the middle of our skimmer where we like to keep it.

Kim

I'm sure you've read as much as I have about both, but I'll give you my brief experience with the robot. My pool was plumbed and a pump installed for the Polaris cleaner. I let the PB talk me into it. But I just really didn't want something with that long of a tail in the pool when I was swimming. I realize it could be pulled out, but it doesn't seem as convenient as the robot (the caddy, etc for storing the robot and its tube and cord). Now.... if we were often away from home, then a Polaris type cleaner might be a good idea for programming, etc.

I briefly considered an infloor system, but I wanted to save on electricity and not run a pump for the infloor system or for the Polaris. And I did not like the thought of pipes, etc being under the pool in case of future repairs. Maybe that's not a valid argument, but that's what was in my head. I have read that many people who live in the dry and desert areas love the infloor systems for how well they pick up their fine dust, dirt, and sand. If I lived there, I'd probably go with the same.

I have few trees in my yard, but there are many trees close by in neighbors' yards. So we get lots of crepe myrtle debris and all sizes and shapes of leaves. Some are as large as my hand. I'm amazed at how well the robot cleans (a Dolphin M500). She (Rosie) scrubs everywhere including the walls, the waterline tile, and up to the second step (only about 9" under water). I use the fine corrugated filters and it shocks me how much fine dirt she vacuums. I really didn't think we had that much dirt flying around, but I guess we do. By the time she's finished, it looks like mud in the filters. Oh, and she has no trouble with pine needles which come from all our neighbors.

I don't know anything about heat pumps. Just make sure they work well for our area with our humidity. We have a heater using natural gas. It takes make 10-15 minutes (this time of year) to heat the spa up to 102 degrees. So far, we've seen little change in our gas bill(CenterPoint). Give me a few more months, and I can give you a better idea about the costs.

Waiting and watching your build thread - eagerly!!!
Suz.

Thanks Suz! I was leaning towards a robot like yours so I'm happy to hear how well it works for you. Is this something that should be in the bid or is it cheaper to buy myself? Or is it just one of those wait and see what the bids look like deals?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.